Air intake silencer- how do I get rid of it? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air intake silencer- how do I get rid of it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air intake silencer- how do I get rid of it?

Does anyone have a way/system/idea on how to remove the air silencer on a 98 firebird, and then reconnect the manifold with the filter box?

Thanks,

Nate
    98 firebird, black, flowmaster dual exhaust with 4 1/2 inch diameter chrome tips, 17X10 boyd coddington smoothie II wheels, hurst shifter, whisper induction lid.

I would just get an aftermarket lid for as cheap as you can. I have a 2002 firebird and got a whisper lid and it works great. You can feel the power it adds, and it gives the engine a deeper sound. So my advice would be throw like a 100 bucks down and buy one....and get a k&n filter....they're infinitely better than our stock filter. If you do this you wont regret that you did it.
    Shawn<br />2002 Silver W68 Firebird

Comment

Well, I suppose he was asking how to do it without spending 100$ on the lid, which I think is a rip off. Actually I think you can remove the silencer and add 3 inch PVC pipe from local home depot or hardware store.

You can also do home ram air (I've seen few guys do it on LS1). Basically, when you open the lid, and taking out the filter, there's plastic bottom, so to say. Cut all that **** out and there ya go - free ram-air. However, you increase your chances of sucking water in, though. I personally wouldn't do it.

Also, you're connecting throttle body and air box, not manifold. Be careful working around throttle body.

[ November 09, 2003: Message edited by: ka50 ]</p>

Comment

Yeah he may not want to spend 100 bucks on it...but i've heard some not so hot things about the free ram air mod...but if you're going to do it...in addition to just cutting out the bottom you need to shave off all the fins that are under the lid...basically make as much room in the lid as you can for air to be in there. But I really like my whisper lid personally...it gives more area under the lid and really cleans up how it looks under the hood too. And I really doubt water will get "sucked up". There wont be much sucking involved...unless you go through 2 feet of water you should be fine. I have the fast toys ram air setup...and ive never had any problems with water getting up there.
        Shawn<br />2002 Silver W68 Firebird

Comment

Look here:

http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/gl...eDepotLid.html

[ November 09, 2003: Message edited by: Everglades W68 ]</p>
          I solemnly swear I am up to no good.

2008 Saturn Sky Red Line - Midnight Blue

Pewter Mafia - 2000 Firebird - SOLD
          CENTRAL FLORIDA KNIGHTS!!!!!!!
          FLORIDA STATE SEMINOLES !!!!!!!

Comment

Hey guys...he has a 98. You have to get some 4" ducting and use it to connect the lid to the TB. I used dryer ducting but it didn't work out very good. I finally bought some good ducting that was about $70 for 10 feet of it through a race supply store. It works great and I still have about 8 feet left. I tried it on my stock lid and my MTI lid and it works great on both. I will sell you some if you would like.
            <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

i replaced my air silencer with 3" pvc pipe which was 4.25" long. i had home depot cut the pvc pipe, took it home sanded all the crap off it. then painted it black. then just take off the hose clamps from the throttle body to the air box (you will need to buy new hose clamps). then take the entire thing off including the air box lid, the hose pulls right off the throttle body. then just replace the air silencer with the pvc pipe put the new clamps on and reinstall. take about 5min and costs like 8 bucks. cant beat it and if you paint it no one will know its a pvc pipe [img]smile.gif[/img]
              -----2k pewter camaro A4-----------<br />*Rk Sport Ram Air<br />*Bypassed Air Silencer<br />*2.5\" to 3\" cat-back exhaust<br />*3.42 LSD<br />*Racing Strips, rims, carbon fiber grill, painted interior

Comment

You guys don't seem to understand. His 98 firebird has an angled TB. PVC pipe will not work.
                <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                  by ssms5411
                  Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                  1 week ago
                • RPDRed6
                  For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                  by RPDRed6
                  Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                  3 weeks ago
                • ssms5411
                  No start problem
                  by ssms5411
                  So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                  4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X