Car overheats at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car overheats at idle

I had my suspicions about my theromstat being bad because my car was always overheating. I bought a 180 degree thermostat (i know i should of gone with 160 but I picked this one up for cheap and I didn't have to order it) so i threw that in really quick to see what if it would help. I drove it about 5 or 6 miles and it didn't move one hair from 180 degrees. I got home and let it idle a bit and the temp started rising. It always seems to do this, when im in a traffic jam the car over heats so bad just at idle but on the road im fine. What can be causing this? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Ted

Is your fan coming on? Check your radiator cap, see if it's holding 18 psi. I had to get a new engine because of the little b!tch.
    1995 Patriot Red T-Topped Z28 A4<br /><br />Mystery rebuild in progress.<br /><br />Soon to have 383 ways to beat KBreezy and Shane. :D

Comment

I should already know this but there should be one fan on all the time correct. And the second one kicks on when the car starts heating up... I'll check my fans tomorrow again. I'm not sure if the second one kicks on while driving, it will turn on with the A/C. I bought all the stuff to do a manual fan switch to just turn them on manually but for some reason I only have 2 switches and all other camaros have 3. I dunno.

Ted

Comment

There should not be one fan on at all times. The first fan kicks in when you turn your AC on. Then when your car reaches 210 degrees *I think* both fans turn on. It definately sounds like you have a fan problem but Im not positive about that one.

Also, what do you mean you only have two switches and other Camaros have three.
        <b>1998 Cayenne Red Camaro 3.8 A4</b><br />-Whisper Lid, K&N, manual fan switch, DEI 508D<br /><br /><b>FOR SALE:</b><br />-Whisper Lid<br />-PAC OEM-1 adapter<br />-GM Delco 12 disc CD Changer<br />-MTX 4250D amp<br />-Kicker Free Air subs<br />-DEI 508D Proximity Sensor

Comment

Its more like 225degF when the fans kick on :eek:

Our cars, no matter the thermostat, run amazingly hot. This is not because something is wrong, it is simply because the radiator we have is sized for a Geo Metro 3cyl - its terribly undersized.

If you'd like to SOLVE the cooling issues at idle and driving down the highway, making the thermostat actually control the engine temp, you need a larger radiator. I recommend the griffin over everything else, but the SLP one isnt a bad deal for $260-300.
          2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
          Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

If you have wired up a setup to turn them on maually, double check that, may be done wrong.

If not, let it idle, turn on the a/c, see if the fans come on (you can hear them, be real careful about putting your hand down there to check for airflow).

If I had to guess, I would say a fan problem. Probably not a sensor problem because you would have an SES light.

A broken thermostat generally will not make temps rise. If a thermostat breaks, most of the time they get stuck open. That will actually make you run a little cool. It is a cheap part to throw at the problem though, so no big deal.

If your fans are working, turn off the car & get under the radiator (or take off the radiator shroud) and make sure nothing is blocking airflow.

If it all looks fine, another cheap solution to try would be a radiator cap.

Last thing, and worse case, would be something blocking water flow through the engine or radiator.
            2001 75th Anniversary V6 Pewter Firebird w/ Chrome Wheels, T-Tops, & Y87<br />Mods: Free Ram Air, !Silencer, Holley Filter, Full 3\" Hooker Catback, 3\" Cat<br />Best time: 15.095 at 90.00 MPH with a 2.127 60\'

Comment

Where did you mount your tranny cooler? Could it be that your blocking too much airflow across the radiator with it mounted in front of it?
              ~Derrick <a href=\"http://www.appstate.edu/~do54457/\" target=\"_blank\"><i>My Webpage</i></a><br /><b>\'96 3.8L V6 M5 Firebird Y87</b> | <b>162.8 RWHP</b> / <b>196.7 RWTQ</b> <br /><b>•</b> SLP CAI <b>•</b> <a href=\"http://tech.firebirdv6.com/y87.html\" target=\"_blank\"><b>Y87</b> Package</a> - 3.23s <b>•</b> 180º thermo w/ fan switch <b>•</b> TB spacer from DEE<br />1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4

Comment

SunsetOrange - theres some instructions online for the manual fanswitch i think it's here.

http://web.nmsu.edu/~shanemar/camaro...fanswitch.html

they show 3 switch boxes off to the side on the passenger's side. I only have 2. I don't know why. I posted a topic on it and everyone said I should definatley have 3 and to look a little harder. I haven't bothered with it, i think i'll check it out tomorrow.

Strobhen - thanks for the tips, i inspected it a month ago everything looks to be good. I put some dexcool in not too long ago and i was looking at it later today it seems to be brownish like it's burnt again. Probably because the engine was heating up a lot because of the weather. I think i'll try replacing the radiator cap next if the fans are working correctly and i can't narrow it down to anything else.

Dojo - I mounted my tranny cooler on the bottom center of the radiator. I noticed it didn't seem to affect the temperature after I installed it. But it wasn't terribly hot out when I put it in so it could be affecting it now.

Anyway I'll see what I can come up with tomorrow. If nothing i'll probably be seeking more help but thanks for your time guys in helping me trouble shoot this, i appreciate it.

Ted

[ July 14, 2002: Message edited by: Ted ]</p>

Comment

Theres two fans? I only have 1 big one.. gotta love the first fourth gens, so different.
                  1995 Patriot Red T-Topped Z28 A4<br /><br />Mystery rebuild in progress.<br /><br />Soon to have 383 ways to beat KBreezy and Shane. :D

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                    by ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                    1 week ago
                  • RPDRed6
                    For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                    by RPDRed6
                    Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                    3 weeks ago
                  • ssms5411
                    No start problem
                    by ssms5411
                    So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                    4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X