starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting problems

I have been having a little trouble starting my car. Yesterday morning I left for work the car started fine, but then I stopped for gas I could not get it started. All it did was make a clicking and grinding noise. Also everytime I turned the key and tried to start it the gauges went crazy and the clock on my radio reset itself. I finally tried jumping the car, it struggled but still started after the third try.
    When I got to work I tried Starting it again as soon as I shut it off and it started up just fine.
    But, when I left work later it did the clicking and grinding again but also still turned over and it started. Any ideas, I am guessing either a bad connection on the battery or the starter.
    Modifications:<br />headers, throtle bod spacer, flowmaster, high flow magnaflow carsound cat, powerdyne sc with 2.9\" pulley and by-pass valve, walboro 255 fuel pump, spec stage 2 clutch, and HP Tuners

weak battery? weak alternator?

run a multimeter across your battery terminals with the car on and see what voltage you're getting. should be at least 12.5 volts, preferably more like 13-14.

Comment

yea i believe it's most likely your alternater or battery. the best thing to do is as stated. The only other thing that could keep it from holding a charge are the wires and plugs, so check em out. Also, is your ses light on?
      Car expresses who you are. If you have a ****ty car, you must be a ****ty person;)<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995979\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995979</a>

Comment

I had the charging system checked and they said the alternator was putting out 12.5v and the battery was fine.
        Modifications:<br />headers, throtle bod spacer, flowmaster, high flow magnaflow carsound cat, powerdyne sc with 2.9\" pulley and by-pass valve, walboro 255 fuel pump, spec stage 2 clutch, and HP Tuners

Comment

my voltage outpout is 13.5...on all my cars. i was taught 13+ output from alternator is optimal. less voltage output and the battery slowly drains because there is not enough excess voltage to 'run' everything else on the car.

even my stock dash voltage gauge on the bird reads 13.5. (i also have engine anylzer and it matches the stock gauge and reads 13.5 volts as well)

i think your 12.5 volts means that the alternator is heading south on you. you might want to ask around about that.
          01 Firebird A4 3.42
          Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
          and other mods
          Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

oh yea...i have been meaning to ask you how the 2.9 pulley is treating you. there are some current posts in the FI forum about upgrading to 9psi pulley and what is needed...fuel pump...injectors yes/no, adjustable fmu yes/no, etc. Care to jump in on some of those threads with a little feedback on system?
            01 Firebird A4 3.42
            Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
            and other mods
            Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

check your battery terminal cables and make sure they're tight.
              <a href=\"http://www.fbodyelpaso.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.fbodyelpaso.org</a> A4 stock 3.42 and LSD not Y87,SLP cold air induction, whisper lid, k&n filter, flowmaster 80 series, hypertech, 160 powerstat thermostat, t/a front bumper, functional nostrils, pacesetter headers best et: 15.9 at about 4800ft

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X