Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popping Noise

i have a 99 firebird.

i am gettin a "popping noise" from the front end when i steer the car while applying the break? could it be struts maybe, has anyone had this problem or would they know what it could be?

Tie Rod, or Ball Joint?

They can both *pop* during the times listed above. Either because of failure, or lack of lubrication.

Other items it could be:

Broken/Binding, Spring/Strut
    Loose Strut Mount(s)
    Faulty Rack
    Loose Motor Mount
    <b>99 Pewter Metallic Camaro</b><br />SLP Ultra-Z Hood, Shaved Antenna, !mouldings, Chrome Halos, Filled Factory Grill, Y2K 18 R 19 F, SLP Whisper Lid, (functional w/ Hood), FlowMaster American Thunder C.B, QA1 Coilovers, Kuhmo Tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabid Dog:
      Tie Rod, or Ball Joint?

They can both *pop* during the times listed above. Either because of failure, or lack of lubrication.

Other items it could be:

Broken/Binding, Spring/Strut
      Loose Strut Mount(s)
      Faulty Rack
      Loose Motor Mount
      ^^Exactly what he said^^ I just worked on a car with the same problem, you probably need to tighten the bolts.
      -Rick<br /><br />Bright White \'95 Firebird Convertible 3.4L A4 - Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back, Zexel Torsen Posi-traction, Black Checkered Stripes, Clear Corners, Misc. Appearance Mods.<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2077741\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2077741</a> <br /><br />AIM ID: AxSlane

Comment

hey thanks a lot for the tips. is this something i can fix at home then? cuz im really not too sure what to look for...i guess ill just have to take it to the shop???? the car has 162000 miles on it, and its pretty much all original. except for all new pads and rotors, alternator, and i just did a lower intake manifold, valve cover, and upper plennum gasket job on it. hopefully its just something that needs a little tightening

Comment

I have an old FWD car that has a broken sway bar linkage that I need to fix. It rusted apart. You can hear it banging when I go around corners, bumps, braking. I assume Firebirds have swaybar linkages too up front, but I have not paid attention when I'm under there.... something else to check, and an easy fix. Just look around under there, you may find something rusty/loose.
          2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

The following is easier if you have a friend, if not, I'm sorry, but continue anyway.

First, firmly bounce the nose of the car up and down, and listen for noises. If you hear the pop, or any similar noises, then torque all the strut mount bolts (upper & lower) to their proper specs.

If you hear no noises from the above, then turn your key forward one click to "ign". Do not start the car. Turn the wheel left/right and listen for noises. If you hear the bastard noise, then you have problems in the tie-rods or similar. (you can also do a "secondary" steering test with the car running)

If you don't hear anything again, then you will have to inspect the entire front suspension from below. If anything isn't up to specs, tighten it. If anything looks flimsy/broke, then replace it.

Once you've gone over everything, and possibly fixed the problem(s) (or so you think, you silly boy), it's time for a lube job.

Lubricate all the grease joints. Make sure not to overgrease, as this will cause damage. Damage makes that accursed noise happy, and you don't want that, now do you?

After all this, if you haven't found the problem, then it might be a clunk in the brakes. Or, possibly something more sneaky.

The only thing on the front suspension that's a pain to do at home, is too replace the springs. The rest can be done with simple or specialty tools.

[ September 29, 2005, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Rabid Dog ]
            <b>99 Pewter Metallic Camaro</b><br />SLP Ultra-Z Hood, Shaved Antenna, !mouldings, Chrome Halos, Filled Factory Grill, Y2K 18 R 19 F, SLP Whisper Lid, (functional w/ Hood), FlowMaster American Thunder C.B, QA1 Coilovers, Kuhmo Tires.

Comment

hey thanks for all the advice. i got a lot more feedback than i had expected out of such a somewhat odd question. i appreciate it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X