Dash coming apart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash coming apart

On my 99, right above the steering wheel, the soft dash part that is around the gages and radio is pulling away from the hard plastic piece up by the windshield. Basically, it looks like the soft piece fits underneath the hard plastic piece with the defrost vent, and in a couple spots it's coming out from under it. I tried to push it back under but it won't budge. Anybody have this issue? Is it from sun damage because I keep well armor alled? If you have had this problem any info on a fix would be greatly appreciated.
    1999 Y87 Camaro<br />Whisper Lid, SLP SS Takeoff Exhaust

My glove box door did the same thing, and the dealership just glued it back down. I have no idea what type of glue it was though. That big plastic piece just pops in, so you can take it off to get a better look. I think its called the dash cover piece. The back is velcro strips and it has two or three clips holding the front down. Be very careful though, I cracked mine trying to get it out. $150-new about $45-60 on e-bay. The red LED for the alarm just turns out to remove. It can go back in one of two holes. One you can see it stick up, and the other hides it. If you have t-tops, taking the plastic a-pillar pieces off makes getting the dash cover out easier. It may be necessary, I don't know. Since I had t-tops, I just took them off to make it easier for me. Two phillips screws on the top of each.
    The hard plastic around the gauges pops off too. If you have the fog lights, when you pull it away from the instrument cluster, there is enough wire to let you remove it. You have to reach in there and feed it out. The plug in sometimes hangs up trying to come out with it. Mine is a 99 too. Now you should be able to see
    what is up. When it is off I just let mine hang out of the way.

[ June 22, 2005, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: jessica2112 ]
    Jessica :)<br />Kansas: There\'s no place like home...99 Firebird Blown/6lbs, Eaton w/3.42\'s CI headers Z28 Exaust<br />CAI, #36 injectors Intense PCM

Comment

Thanks for the info. It might just need to be glued back underneath the plastic piece, but I though that it just slipped underneath it. If I can get it to stay under it with glue, maybe by doing what you suggest, I might be able to make it look a little better. I'll give it a try.
      1999 Y87 Camaro<br />Whisper Lid, SLP SS Takeoff Exhaust

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X