Ac Compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ac Compressor

I have a 95 3.4 V6. I noticed a rather horrible noise comming from my engine today. The pully that powers the AC Compressor is loose. The is some kind of a tension device connected to the front of that pully. It seems have a function when the AC is turned on or off. At any rate the pulley itself is loose, and it wobbles. This is creating a screeching/grinding noise..... very very ugly. I pulled the serpintine belt to inspect it further. I cannot figure out how the pully is supposed to connect to the compressor. Also I cannot figure out how to get the pulley off, or the AC compressor in general.

Does anyone know the steps to doing this?? And does anyone know if when the pulley breaks away from the AC compressor, does a new compressor need to be purchased?? ThanX a lot for your time.
    -JinX

Your AC compressor has an electric clutch on it. Over time, the bearing on the clutch go bad. My recommendation is going to be replace the whole assembly, compressor and all. Odds are, it is getting worn out and you will have colder air in the summer again with the new compressor.
    1995 Firebird 3.8 A4, 140,000 miles and going strong<br />Basically Stock, college=poor <p>Junior Mechanical Engineering Student: Milwaukee School of Engineering; Cpl, MN Army National Guard...just got promoted :)

Comment

Yeah the bearings have clearly gone bad. How to you go about removing the assembly, and what does a new copmpressor cost?? If anyone knows. ThanX for the response.
      -JinX

Comment

Does anyone know if the pulley is part of the compressor unit, or is it a seperate piece??
        -JinX

Comment

the compressor and the pulley are all one unit. i will check my book on how to remove it and i will post it later today or tomorrow
          1995 Chevy Camaro 3.4L<br />K&N air filter<br />Centerforce Dual Friction CLutch<br />Flowmasters 3\' pipes<br />Pioneeer Sound System

Comment

Thank you very much for your help and for taking the time to look it up for me.
            -JinX

Comment

First Id like to say that im happy to finally find someone with a 95 3.4!! But back to your problem, Ive got the same deal with my compressor. Now you should be able to disconnect the pully but Im not really sure how. Ive got to actually look at mine to figure it out, but Im sure you can do it. But for the time being you can always just buy a belt to bypass the ac, it will stop the noise and give you some more horsepower while you dont have it engaged!!!

Comment

Does anyone know this for sure, I would do it today if that's the case. Bypassing is something I never thought of.
                -JinX

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X