what is stall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is stall?

ok i've never understood what this is and i seem to see it alot and kinda feel retarded about asking but i gotta know sum how... what is stall, as in like i stall up to 3500 or whatever. just a question dont flame
    2001 camaro a4 SOM vert <br />3800 series II <br />flowmasters american thunder <br />3.42 gears<br /><br />its not fast but i drive it like a natural beast

well when talking about stalling your car up to 3500, it is when you can sit there and press the brake and gas pedal and the same time in a drive gear while staying still. getting an aftermarket stall to reach up to 3500 is good for when you have an auto, like you do, to stall the engine to a higher rpm when racing the get a quicker launch, faster 60' and in the end, a better 1/4time.
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Just don't become one of those people that thinks only aftermarket converters stall. "Get a stall," they say. Guess they don't realize that all converters, including the stock one, have a stall point. [img]smile.gif[/img]
      Matt
      1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
      Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm

there is a good description on how a torque converter works so you get an idea of whats going.
        2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

some engines require a 'higher stall' torque converter just so that they can be driven at all. if you build up an engine with an aggressive cam and valvetrain, for instance, this may require a higher idle speed just to keep the car running. this higher idle speed might end up being higher than a stock torque convertor.

many things to consider about stall convertors. deffinatly learn all you can before purchasing one.

some stall setups are not good for daily driver.
          01 Firebird A4 3.42
          Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
          and other mods
          Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

im not really looking to buy one just wondering what the meaning was. thnx i get it now and thnx BLLDOG for the link i learned something new today sitting in school searching forums during my computer class lol
            2001 camaro a4 SOM vert <br />3800 series II <br />flowmasters american thunder <br />3.42 gears<br /><br />its not fast but i drive it like a natural beast

Comment

to put it in the simplest terms, the transmission wolnt get 100% engine power untill your RPM's are at that stall number.

I have a 69 camaro with the origional converter, and a cam with almost 300 duration, and when i put it in drive, it stalls out.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                Good to see the site is back up
                by 2.8 Bird
                So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                3 days ago
              • FirebirdGT
                New Site Hosting Issues
                by FirebirdGT
                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X