how loud is too loud?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how loud is too loud?

When I first purchased my bird the v6 was so quiet it was nearly silent. If you listened closely you could just make out the hum of the engine when in idle. Now, I pull in between some cars at work the other day and the engine itself sounds louder than it once was. It doesn't have an individual unusual sound, just louder as a whole. Instead of a steady hum it is now easier to hear the belts and other odds and ends moving inside. The best way to describe it is as if not everything is oiled enough.

I checked the oil and everything checks out as it should. However I have not had it changed in the time that I've had it. Could this be the cause of it? Or could it be in need of a tune up? The only other change would be the addition of the loudmouth roughly a month ago. Everything else is stock.

I have noticed one other sound, sometimes under acceleration I can just barely make out a whistling sound coming from the engine bay. Any ideas or info?
    01 V6 Firebird, Flowmaster catback, Navmate gps, B&M Ripper.

The only thing i can comment on is the "whistling sound" as my car has it too. It sounds more so what i would call a supercharger-whine or something of the type, but i think it sounds [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img]

Every person to ever be in my car when im driving asks if i have a supercharger...and then when i tell them no...they are like...

Comment

I get that whistle sound, but thats from my ram air. It can just be from air intakes. If its more of a supercharger like whine, its probably your alternator. My car sounded like it had a s/c for about a week [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img] , but then the amps went down to like 8 :(
      Black \'94 Trans Am A4- SLP CAI & Loudmouth<br />Red \'93 Firebird A4- Ram Air under the WS6 hood, !cat, exhaust.

Comment

i heard that sound next to me last night...its a scary sound... it was coming from a green trans am...

but, anyways... if your pullies are making noise... try spraying some wd-40 on them and see if it stops, worked for me with the a/c pully...

good luck
        White 1998 3.8L Camaro
        Home Ram Air / Free Flow Intake
        Drilled / Slotted Rotors with black painted Calipers

Comment

Thats a good idea dorkins. I was unsure if wd-40 was good enough to use like that. I thought I read somewhere that it evaporates fairly quickly. So I can go ahead and spray it on all pullies? I'm hoping thats the only reason for my engine being a little louder. Hate to think of living with that for the life of the car. Sounds great normally, but as soon as your close to another object and idling you can hear the sound bouncing back, then it reminds ya of grandmas car or something.
          01 V6 Firebird, Flowmaster catback, Navmate gps, B&M Ripper.

Comment

3.8Ls are ALOT louder when you remove the airsilencer and such...

I used to not know my car was on... my mom drove mine and she was wondering what the wind rushing sound form the motor was... car had the cutout capped so it was pretty quiet.

Could also flush the motor, could be a dirty lifter.
            -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith2097:
              Thats a good idea dorkins. I was unsure if wd-40 was good enough to use like that. I thought I read somewhere that it evaporates fairly quickly. So I can go ahead and spray it on all pullies? I'm hoping thats the only reason for my engine being a little louder. Hate to think of living with that for the life of the car. Sounds great normally, but as soon as your close to another object and idling you can hear the sound bouncing back, then it reminds ya of grandmas car or something.
              just dont go spraying the pullies where the belt meets the pully. they make belt dressing for that.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
              Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Originally posted by Fbody3400:
                I get that whistle sound, but thats from my ram air. It can just be from air intakes. If its more of a supercharger like whine, its probably your alternator. My car sounded like it had a s/c for about a week [img]graemlins/rock.gif[/img] , but then the amps went down to like 8 :(
                I have a brand new alternator....its not the alternator....

I love the sound anyways....i can hear it clear as day...and my intake is the stock one.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X