X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do coil packs ever go bad?

my car has 100,000 miles on it
    think i need to replace them?
    1993 240sx 5 speed, Super Hicas, LSD, Stock for now<br />Sold-1995 Red T-Top 3.4 Camaro<br />Totaled-1997 Jade Green Cavalier 2.2 auto

yes coil packs do go bad, i just replaced mine at 98,000 so you should probably replace them now, expecially if you are having problems with the ignition system.
    Justin96Bird / Justin98TransAm<p>1998 Navy Blue TransAm<p>Whisper Lid<br />free ram air<br />K&N Filter<br /><a href=\"http://www.hhbc.com/justin96bird/index.htm\" target=\"_blank\">DynoMouth Exhaust</a><p><a href=\"http://www.hhbc.com/justin96bird/index.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.hhbc.com/justin96bird/index.htm</a>

Comment

where can i buy some?
      1993 240sx 5 speed, Super Hicas, LSD, Stock for now<br />Sold-1995 Red T-Top 3.4 Camaro<br />Totaled-1997 Jade Green Cavalier 2.2 auto

Comment

Good ol' Auto Zone, I think I paid like $33 bucks for one coil pack. Mine went bad and caused misfires really bad with 2 of the cylinders (each pack fires 2 cylinders). So you'll be looking at like $100 bucks total - aftermarket coil packs aren't too much more I don't think - are they?
        1999 Black Trans Am A4<br /> <br />-Flowmaster with Flowtech Cutout <br />-SLP Lid <br />-SLP MAF <br />-Ported Heads, hardened pushrods<br />-Diable Sport Programming<br />-18\' ZO6 Polished rims

Comment

any local auto parts store should have them, I think i got mine at Discoutn Auto Parts for like $25. I had to replace one at 65K. Cylinders were misfiring
          <a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/d/e/defrag/sig.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">1997 Firebird V6-Y87/W68</a>

Comment

If you want to, for like $7 extra per coil pack you can order the new MSD coil packs for our cars. $39.95 each, part number MSD-8224 on summitracing.com (they are on backorder but they are still availiable)
            C. Boney<br />1997 Firebird 3.8L V6<br />---------------------<br />Modifications:<br /> <br /> SLP Cold Air Induction, Ported/Polished Throttle Body, Carsound 3\" High Flow Cat, Sweet Thunder 24\" Chambered Muffler, Removed Rear Exhaust Section, Custom Fan Switch, 35th Anniv. Silver Stripes, Old T/A-Style Silver Sail Birds

Comment

You can test your coils. Take the 2 plug wires off one coil and start the engine. The coil should be able to arc from 1 post to the other. If it doesn't, it is weak. Do this for all 3 coils. BUT DO NOT RUN IT LONG WHILE PERFORMING THESE TESTS. Also, DO NOT touch the spark. DIS will bite you MUCH HARDER than a standard ignition coil.
              Dan<br />1990 RS 170,000 miles<br />3.4L collecting dust<br />700R4-to-T5 swap completed on Dec. 13, 2002

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dan90RS:
                You can test your coils. Take the 2 plug wires off one coil and start the engine. The coil should be able to arc from 1 post to the other. If it doesn't, it is weak. Do this for all 3 coils. BUT DO NOT RUN IT LONG WHILE PERFORMING THESE TESTS. Also, DO NOT touch the spark. DIS will bite you MUCH HARDER than a standard ignition coil.<hr></blockquote>

DO NOT DO THIS!!!

you may damage the coil and/or the ignition module. when dynamically testing an ignition component, use either an inductive pickup to see peak firing kv, or use a spark tester available for like $2 at autozone.
                ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

Not to mention you can damage your engine by forcing knock.
                  1995 Camaro 3.4 v6. Dead<br />1995 Trans Am FIPK.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by zlightning:
                    Not to mention you can damage your engine by forcing knock.<hr></blockquote>

how so?

you'd have misfire on both cylinders but i dont see how you'd have spark knock.
                    spark knock is when the spark happens too early when the piston is on its way up (compression stroke.) it is due to overly advanced ignition timing, excessive compression, or excessive heat in combustion chamber. killing ignition to 2 cylinders by shorting the coil won't cause this.
                    spark knock (aka detonation) will cause different adverse effects on the engine components than an ignition misfire.

[ May 12, 2002: Message edited by: strange_trp ]</p>
                    ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                      Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                      by ssms5411
                      Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                      1 week ago
                    • RPDRed6
                      For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                      by RPDRed6
                      Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                      3 weeks ago
                    • ssms5411
                      No start problem
                      by ssms5411
                      So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                      4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X