rpm drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rpm drop

When I'm coasting in neutral (slowing down for a light for example) and/or apply brakes in neutral the rpm's drop to 300, then quickly go up to 1100, then drop again then go up quickly again... does it few times, but ONLY when coasting and only when engine is hot. When stopped, it stops. If I give it quick rev while coasting, usually stops dropping rpm's, but sometimes doesn't. I always thought it was engine adjusting fuel-air ratios for optimal fuel economy, but lately I've been wonering about it, cuz my lights dim for a second when rpm's drop to 400. I always get looks at the stop light "like wtf ur lights are dimmin?". Any input?

same thing happens to me...
    99 3.8 Camaro (M5) Y87

Comment

It could be your idle speed sensor going out. You havent had an SES light?

Comment

Then again it could be an elctrical prob. I would emagine that your lights would dim because the rpm is to low for the alternator to charge.

Comment

No SES light. And yes, lights dim cuz rpm's drop and alternator doesn't provide enough output, most likely.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
            Had to be evacuated again due to fire
            by ssms5411
            Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
            1 week ago
          • RPDRed6
            For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
            by RPDRed6
            Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
            3 weeks ago
          • ssms5411
            No start problem
            by ssms5411
            So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
            4 weeks ago
          • SixShooter'00Camaro
            Revival
            by SixShooter'00Camaro
            Working on getting my 99 Camaro back in action. Long story short, got parked in the garage about 5 years ago (kids, career stuff ect.) trying to get her...
            4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X