'97 Firebird Problems :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '97 Firebird Problems :(

I have a 1997 Firebird 3.8l v6 coupe. It's only five years old with 44K miles. I am the only driver and it's been well-maintenanced. However, it seems to be giving me some trouble lately (especially since the ext. warranty ran out!). In July, the alternator went out. I got that replaced. Then, a week ago, the fuel pump went out. Luckily I was able to get a mechanic's discount on the pump and my husband installed it for me, saving $400 labor costs.

I am just disappointed that with my low mileage and perfectly maintained car, that these two things have happened so close together and so soon.

Has anyone here had their fuel pump go out? I mean after 44K miles, I was really wondering WHY it went out!

Also, my radio display is garbage. It does not display the correct time/radio station. It just shows junk on the display. I'm told this is due to static build-up and actually had it replaced twice already.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks so much!
    This is my first post! ;)
    \'97 Silver Firebird

My fuel pump went out.

I had a fuel psi gauge.. over time I watched the PSI drop as low as 22 psi at WOT.

I swapped in a walbro 255 and am all good now.
    Keith - Chicago<br /><a href=\"http://www.hptuners.com\" target=\"_blank\">HP Tuners - PCM Reprogramming</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.dxsoftware.com/magnus/\" target=\"_blank\">97 Firebird V6 to LS1 swap</a><br /><b>V8 9.967@132.78</b> 1.322 60\' NA Heads/Cam<br /><b>V8 10.295@128.48</b> 1.363 60\' NA Cam Only<br /><b>V8 10.987@119.31</b> 1.422 60\' NA Stock Internals<br /><b>V6 13.674@98.22</b> NA<br /><b>V6 12.394@104.91</b> N20 100HP

Comment

Alternator failure is common with these cars, so don't be discouraged about that.

My wife had a Camaro that had the fuel pump go out with low mileage as well.

Unfortunately these cars have some things that are prone to failure. You are definately not alone.

Oh and Welcome!! [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
      2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

Haven't had a problem with the fuel pump.

My alternator did go just recently.

Don't get discouraged, you have a great car. Fix up these few things and you'll have many years of enjoyment.

Good luck and welcome!
        1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

I have a 97 also, mine has about 91k miles on it now. I have only had to replace the water pump. I wouldn't worry too much about having to replace things, they do wear out, even though 44k miles is not a lot, you have to factor the time in there as well. Seals get hard with age and are prone to failure. As for the radio display, mine went out after 52k miles, and now I know it is quite normal for them to go out. Replace the head unit with an aftermarket one and all will be better. Alternators do go out, mine hasn't yet, but I do expect it soon.

Jack
          97 Silver Bird<br />3.8 M5 Bone Stock Engine<br />15.528 @ 88.96 bone stock<br /><a href=\"http://www.fbodyenhancements.com/\" target=\"_blank\">www.fbodyenhancements.com/</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Jack:
            I have a 97 also, mine has about 91k miles on it now. I have only had to replace the water pump. <hr></blockquote>

Did it just go? Or were there slow building warning signs? I'm just waiting for this to happen on mine :(
            1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

Thanks guys for the responses. I don't feel so bad about my car as I did! I do love my car. It's my baby and I'm driving it till the wheels fall off!

[ September 12, 2002: Message edited by: Kelly Armes ]</p>
              \'97 Silver Firebird

Comment

My '97 bird (only owner) has 90,000 miles.She is a driven daily, and when there's a ricer or 'stang
                around, she gives them something to think about.

She goes through a set of plug wires every year, an alternator about ever 1.5 years, and electric window motors every 2 years. All of the aforementioned are almost like clockwork. I just look at it as a slight downside to owning my favorite car! Don't be discouraged, they are *very good* cars.Add a mod or two and you will feel better.
                1997 Arctic White 3.8L Firebird A4<br /> T-Tops, Y87, W68<br /> SLP CAI, FlowMaster<br />2002 Black/Black Trans Am A4<br /> T-Tops, WS6

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kelly Armes:
                  [QB] It's my baby and I'm driving it till the wheels fall off!

You don't have to worry about that problem, It's not a FORD! hee hee
                  Welcome!

Marc
                  sigpic

Comment

On my old Camaro (97 V6) my Alternator went out at 60k miles and then two months later at 61k miles, my fuel pump went out! After they were replaced, I did't have anymore problems with it. I sold it to my sister and she's now got 85k miles and nothing else has gone out yet. My Fiance's 96 Firebird has 50k miles and the fuel pump is starting to act up (Chooses to not activate sometimes) Could be worse, my Z28 needs to have the intake gasket replaced (Leaking a quart of oil every three days!), Plugs/Wires/Distributor replaced, and the drivers side head has an exhaust manifold bolt broken off and needs to be tapped and replaced. Sometimes I miss the reliability of my old V6.........But then I hit the gas :D ;) [img]tongue.gif[/img]

[ September 12, 2002: Message edited by: TechCam97 ]</p>
                    - Matt<p>Red 1993 Camaro Z28 M6<p>My <a href=\"http://brightred93z28.fbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Webpage</a>

Comment

i had to replace my alt also so its no biggie they just go out ~shrug~
                      91 Eagle Talon Awd Turbo 5 speed FOR SALE 6000$<br />Looking for a Fiero GT<br /><a href=\"http://www.swdsm.net\" target=\"_blank\">www.swdsm.net</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by ravenp:

Did it just go? Or were there slow building warning signs? I'm just waiting for this to happen on mine :(
                        <hr></blockquote>

It happened slowly...water started missing, leaking out the weap hole, as soon as I discovered this I had it replaced.
                        97 Silver Bird<br />3.8 M5 Bone Stock Engine<br />15.528 @ 88.96 bone stock<br /><a href=\"http://www.fbodyenhancements.com/\" target=\"_blank\">www.fbodyenhancements.com/</a>

Comment

Thew whole auto industry places a heavy value on mileage. I believe it to be misleading. I would rather have a 4 year old car with 100K, than a 8 year old car with 50K. Time is just as damaging to a car as mileage.
                          I recently bought my 97 Camaro with 105K on it. It looks perfect and after some basic work(tires, brakes, battery) it is very reliable. After I got done detailing it, my neihgbor asked if it was new [img]smile.gif[/img]

MIKE
                          1997 Camaro A4, 3.8L Red T-Tops<br />Y87 pkg, 3.42 LSD<br />SLP cold air kit <br />180 Thermo<br />Alpine speakers

Comment

Ahmen MikeB33! I bought my 93 Z28 w/ 43k miles on it and it's so dry-rotted it's not funny. Once I get the problems fixed though, it'll be a great car. It's just kinda discouraging when I go out of my way to find a slightly used Z28 and it breaks on me :( But from now on, I'm going to look at whether or not the car was actually driven. My friend just bought a 94 Z28 from the original owner. It's got 117k miles but it looks new! :eek: and it drives like a damn dream! :mad: But I'm not jealous, once mine gets fixed and w/ some mods I'm gonna take him [img]tongue.gif[/img]
                            - Matt<p>Red 1993 Camaro Z28 M6<p>My <a href=\"http://brightred93z28.fbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Webpage</a>

Comment

I bought my '95 bird back in 1999 with 69k miles on it. Within the span of 4 months, the water pump, power steering pump, alternator, and fuel pump all needed replacement. They were all OE. So, your mileage may vary.

You've got a great car there. Don't be discouraged.
                              1995 Firebird A4, Arctic White<br />3.8 V6<p>Mods: Dual-hamster wheel, steroid-injected hamsters. Fred Flintstone Express Launch kit.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                by ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                1 week ago
                              • RPDRed6
                                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                by RPDRed6
                                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                No start problem
                                by ssms5411
                                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X