Oil Discussion..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ian:
    94teal is right. if you are getting the motor rebuilt and gettin all new stuff put in, start it up with 5 qts. of regular plain old oil, run it for about 10 minutes to allow stuff like the cam and what not to break in, and allow any metal to be flushed out. turn the engine off, and drain the oil completely. then put something like Mobile 1 in.

as was said, do not go back to regular oil after using full synthetic. the seals in the engine get conditioned with the additives in the synthetic oil, and using regular after that will flush the additives out of the seals, possibly causing premature wear.

for a lot of information on oil, visit www.bobistheoilguy.com

the guy knows his stuff
    heres what the mobil1 website has to say...

MYTH:You should break in your engine with conventional oil, then switch to Mobil 1.

FACT:You can start using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ in new vehicles at any time, even in brand-new vehicles. In fact, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ is original equipment (it is installed at the factory) in:

Chevrolet Corvette
    All Porsche vehicles
    Mercedes-Benz AMG vehicles
    Dodge Viper
    Ford Mustang Cobra R
    All Aston Martin cars

One of the myths that persists about Mobil 1 is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. Current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design these high-performance cars, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ can be used in an engine from the day you drive the car off the showroom floor.

MYTH:I need to flush my engine before switching to Mobil 1.
    FACT:No special preparation is necessary when switching from conventional motor oil to Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™.

MYTH:Mobil 1 will leak out of the seals of older cars.
    FACT:Mobil 1 does not cause leaks. In fact, new Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ was tested in dozens of industry standard and OEM tests to prove its seal performance. It is fully compatible with the elastomeric materials from which all automotive seals and gaskets are made.

ExxonMobil engineers are wary of conventional oils that tout their use of additional seal-swelling agents. With extended use, these agents can over-soften engine seals, resulting in leaks. More to the point, an oil additive will not rejuvenate worn or damaged seals. The damaged seal may have been caused by a worn rotating metal component in the engine.

If an older engine is in good condition and does not have oil leaks, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ provides the same advantages as when used in a new engine. ExxonMobil recommends taking measures to repair the leaks, then using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. ExxonMobil also always recommends following the automobile manufacturer's manual for the proper oil to use.

http://www.mobil1.com/why/myths.jsp

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
    Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Mobil 1--wouldn't use anything else...
      --chris--

Comment

Thanks for the input.
        New:04 GMC Sierra 1500 RCLB 4x4 5.3 GU80 3.73\'s.<br />Truck pics<br />Mods<br />Go fast: Panel K&N filter and soon SS truck catback.<br />Appearance: Stull Billet grill,Weston Chrome step tubes,Rhino Chrome hitch step,ARE painted fiberglass cover,Silver star lighting.

Comment

you dont need to break it in for 1500 miles, only about 500.

and here is a break in procedure for a built engine:

500 miles of normal driving. bring it to redline only every once in a while. like, maybe 5 times over the course of those 500 miles. but do it gradually. start off driving real soft for about 100 miles. dont bring the RPM's over about 3 at all. Then for the next hundred miles, bring them to like 4 sometimes. then vary it for the next few hundred miles, sometimes bringing it to redline, but then right back down.

Its gonna kill you, but thats how you do it. Dont totally baby it, but dont be rompin on it either.

And this is what the company D.S.S. told my friend when he got a brand new race engine from them:

"over the course of the 500 miles, use a conventional oil. when the engine is first hooked up, let it run for about 10 minutes with conventional oil in it, and then turn the engine off and fully drain the oil. put new conevntional oil in it, then run that stuff through for 500 miles. then you can switch to synthetic."

good luck man.

Comment

With an aircraft engine you are supposed to use max Manifold pressure at 3000RPM (full trottle at all times) for 10 hours and synthetic oil, continental states specificaly not to use standard oil to break in its engines. Aircraft engines are one hell of a lot more reliable than car engines, so I'll stick with that.
            Turbocharged and intercooled.<br />17psi(oops), stock fuel pump, no FMU<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/phoenix64\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/phoenix64</a> <br />Video: <a href=\"ftp://ftp.pfabrication.com\" target=\"_blank\">ftp://ftp.pfabrication.com</a> Assorted car ****: TurboCamaroFull.

Comment

great so now what do i do, i was goiong to use a cheap oil and let it run for the 10 mins then a cheaper oil for about 100 miles, then go to royal purple for the rest of the motor life, (if im low on cash mobile one, lol)
              www.turbov6camaro.com
              1997 3800 Series II Camaro
              4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
              7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
              11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

i use mobil 1 now, if i switch to redline or royal purple, would it be worth a noticable difference? Also i heard with synthetics, that you can't use an additive,ie: prolong,slick 50.any truth to that?

Comment

with oil like that you realy dont need the additive IMO. but i never heard of them not working.
                  www.turbov6camaro.com
                  1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                  4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                  7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                  11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X