need help with spark plug wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with spark plug wires

is it easy enough to change them myself? the 5th wire has become arched from being close to the block and i need to replace them
    pep boys wanted $30 for parts and $140 for labor
    i'm getting pretty good at doing things on my car, but have never tried to do anything like this
    also, is there a certain type of wire i should get that's better than the generic ones at pepboys?
    thanks
    mcG<br />aim=endlive<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/endlive\" target=\"_blank\">97 firebird</a> ~ wrecked

get you a set of taylors, or a set of accels, even MSD. MSD is probably the best, but also most expensive. Accel wires are custom available from autozone, part 4040 i believe. whichever has a straight plug boot. gotta make it yourself though
    plugs suck to do with the manifolds though. you will have to get at it from UNDER the car for one or two though.
    2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Comment

yeah buy the $40 taylors from thunder racing (just also happens to be one of our sponsors).. and you can do em yourself.. but you do need to...

1. Make a good mental note (or take pics or something) of how the wires are run now
      2. take care not to tear up the wire separators that are attached to various places around the motor and re use them
      3. something I have found to make the job so much easier is get yourself a good drop light of some kind.. the more light you have under the car the easier this job is..
      4. put aside plent of time to do this..
      5. get yourself a tube of dielectric grease from autozone.. (about a buck).. yes some wires come with little plastic tube of this stuff.. but it's always good to have plenty on hand.. and don't be afraid to use plenty of it..
      6. get yourself some zip-ties.. these will come in handy for tieing the wires together in places where there are no separators.. and will help you keep the wires off the block and exhaust..
      7. also re-use the wire loom (protectors)
      8. finally if you just slap on the wires.. you WILL be doing this again in the near future.. I ruined an $80 set of accels by not paying attention to how the wires were run..

just take your time man.. it really is no big deal.. if you take your time you can do just as good of a job or better than any mechanic you pay $150 to do it..
      -Brad
      98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
      2000 V-Star Custom 1100
      If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
      :rock:

Comment

I bought a set of the 8mm Taylor Spiro Pros for my bird and I liked them. They were only about 40$ also. Regardless of the plug wires you buy the install is a B!tch, not really hard, just time consuming. Have some bandages nearby cause you'll probably need them by the time you're done with it ;) .
        2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

OR get some nice fitting gloves or your nuckles are going to get all cut up
          40th Ann GTp 4door

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X