my oil change light wont go off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my oil change light wont go off

My oil change light always comes on when I start my car. It will eventually go off after 5 minutes of driving, but I dont understand why it's doing that. I even got my oil changed and flushed out to think it would go off but it never did. Any suggestions? Thanx
    I hate rice

You'll have to reset it. With the motor off, turn the ket to the "on" position without starting it. Now push your trip reset button down and hold for a few seconds. When the oil light has reset, it will blink a couple times.
    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

the oil change light comes on ever 3000-4000 miles. You need to reset it.

Take off your fuse panel on the inside of your car and turn your car to the "on" position but don't START it, and hold the light until you hear dinging, then continue to hold unting the dinging shuts off. I'm pretty sure that's how you do it.
      Soon to be Mommy!<br />2005 Honda Pilot EX-L

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>From the GM Service Manual:
        To reset the oil life monitor perform the following:

1)Turn the ignition to the RUN position.
        2)Push and hold the TRIP/OIL RESET button for 12 seconds.
        3)The OIL CHANGE light will start to flash to confirm the system is reset.
        4)The reset is complete when the OIL CHANGE light goes out.
        <hr></blockquote>
        Matt
        1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
        Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

quote:
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          From the GM Service Manual:
          To reset the oil life monitor perform the following:
          1)Turn the ignition to the RUN position.
          2)Push and hold the TRIP/OIL RESET button for 12 seconds.
          3)The OIL CHANGE light will start to flash to confirm the system is reset.
          4)The reset is complete when the OIL CHANGE light goes out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blasted! Beat me to it! [img]graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
          <b>2000 NBM Pontiac Firebird</b><br />3800GT Performance Package<br /><br />Intake, Magnaflow Cat, Flowmaster Cat-Back

Comment

Ok here's how you do it...

Remove gauges.. put black tap on back of oil change light... reinstall gauges... good times
            00\' firebird v6 5spd<br />201rwhp ---- 230 rwtq<br />\"Everyday I grow stronger...and further from you.\"<br />WARNING: Do not take any of my comments seriously unless they are technical in nature and then only at your own risk

Comment

I've heard that our computer in our cars keeps track on how many time the engine starts, RPM's, and a number of other things to calculate the engine oil life, I know my dad's Cady STS does it like that and like I said before I've heard that's how ours works also
              Mike<br /><a href=\"http://www.my99firebird.gq.nu\" target=\"_blank\">www.my99firebird.gq.nu</a>

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>
                the oil change light comes on ever 3000-4000 miles. You need to reset it.
                <hr></blockquote>

I bought my car about a month ago with about 21,500 miles; I wasn't sure when the last oil change was so I just went did an oil change at around 22,500 so I can keep track of the miles. Will the oil change light come on at 24,000 or does it somehow know that I did an oil change at 22.5 and it will come on at around 25.5 ?

:D
                .<br />.<a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/bzavala\" target=\"_blank\">2000 Black Firebird</a><br />.

Comment

hehe my dad told me when he sold me the car to make sure they reset the oil change light at the dealership (dealership oil changes till 90k miles) Because if not you have to drive with the light on.

I laughed and said there is a way to do it [img]smile.gif[/img] I didn't know it but I know there is a way.

If you have any questions about something that is pretty much how to use something that is on the car from GM, its usually in the Owner's manual, I found alot of things, just flipping through it.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MustangEater8251:
                    If you have any questions about something that is pretty much how to use something that is on the car from GM, its usually in the Owner's manual, I found alot of things, just flipping through it.<hr></blockquote>

Or in the case of our 2002 Trailblazer, where the instructions given in the owner's manual are wrong. [img]graemlins/stickpoke.gif[/img]
                    <a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/New/IMG_0085.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Black 2002 Camaro M5</a>-SS takeoff muffler, B&M Ripper, K&N Filter, 35/20% tint, Infinity speakers, Viper alarm, perpetually breaking clutch return spring mod. 15.49@90.15<br /><a href=\"http://webpages.charter.net/camarov6/Car%20Pics/P14.JPG\" target=\"_blank\">Pewter 2002 Firebird M5 (Dad\'s Car)</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                      Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                      by ssms5411
                      Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                      1 week ago
                    • RPDRed6
                      For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                      by RPDRed6
                      Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                      3 weeks ago
                    • ssms5411
                      No start problem
                      by ssms5411
                      So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                      4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X