Weird Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Problem

I just got done putting new low beam headlights in my car ( Did the cheap conversion to 9006 Silverstars using my old housings ) and they worked fine. Went to got out and start my car and nothing happened. No power to the radio or gauges. If I turn the key back to ACC then I get power. Turn it forward to try and start the car and nothing. I replaced my ignition switch about 2 monthes ago and haven't had a problem with it. Could it have gone bad already for some reason?

Thank

ignition switches usually do not cause problems.
    when you say "you get nothing" what exactly do you mean? do the inst panel lights come on? do they go off as you try to crank the vehicle? in the "run" position, do any power accessories work?
    do you hear any sounds if you attempt to crank the vehicle? with the key "off" turn it to the "run" position. do you hear the fuel pump buzz for a second or two? if stuff comes on and nothing happens when you switch to the "crank" position this is different than if nothing is getting power in the "run" position at all.
    ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

I get no power in any position other than ACC. It acts as if there is no battery in there. In the ON and RUN position the car has no power. The radio does not come on, the instrument cluster gets no power, and the fuel pump do not kick on. I can start my car with the remote start feature on my alarm. But when I turn the key to the RUN position and put my foot on the brake to shift out of park, the car shuts off and the instrument panel has no power.

Comment

dunno.... i'd say get a wiring diagram and start at power distribution and trace your way through the main ckts.
        why did you replace your 1st ign switch?
        ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

I replaced the ignition switch because I was having a similar problem except that the car had no power in any position. A mechanic friend told me to look at that and when I pulled it off, you could see where it burnt the switch and the connectors. After I replaced it, it all worked fine until now. Just seems funnt that I replace my headlights and now this happens.

Thanx

Comment

hummm. ign switches usually do not burn up. perhaps when he replaced the switch he put a band-aid on a big tumor. you may have a wiring problem somewhere, too much current flow causes heat which makes stuff melt. any fuses blowing?
            if you have a DVOM pull the wiring diagrams and start tracing power from the power distribution block to the ign switch to see where you're losing something. possibly a bad ground? loose connections are also a problem.
            have you added any aftermarket products to your lighting system or any other electrical system? increased loads in a parallel circuit reduce the total ckt resistance which causes higher current flow.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X