Is this Normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Normal?

OK this happens every once in a while and my 96 never did this but this 2000 does. I'm driving down the road at a halfway slow speed, then I kinda get on it but don't floor it. I hear the engine going up higher as I push down the pedal so I'm making the power but it just stays the same speed til either it shift and bam I go or it finally decides to start accelerating at the speed it should. Unless the previous owner did something, the transmission is completely stock. Any ideas or is this some normal thing? It doesn't do it all the time. Maybe it does it at a certain small range of speed or something. I have an A4 by the way.
    Black 2000 Firebird w/ 3.42\'s, LSD, !maf, Whisper Lid, FTRA, K&N Filter. <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/metallica_forever_69\" target=\"_blank\">My Crappy Page</a>

Sounds more like a bad coil/pcv valve, ya stay at the same speed then suddenly accelerate quickly.
    ---Niño---<br /><i>95\' silver 5 spd</i>

Comment

Would that cause the engine to still be at the rpms like I was going the speed it was supposed too? Because the RPMs act fine, its just the car doesn't want to move from the speed its going. Either way the I'm sure the PCV valve could use replacing since I'm on 62K miles and its never been done I assume.
      Black 2000 Firebird w/ 3.42\'s, LSD, !maf, Whisper Lid, FTRA, K&N Filter. <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/metallica_forever_69\" target=\"_blank\">My Crappy Page</a>

Comment

yep, PCV can be a PITA, your RPMs can proceed like nothing wrong sometimes but you feel no difference in speed, suddenly it takes off and accelerates, as if somethings holding it back then it's suddenly unleashed, very tricky thought can be numerous problems. [img]graemlins/stickpoke.gif[/img]
        ---Niño---<br /><i>95\' silver 5 spd</i>

Comment

Well I'll replace that and see what happens. Never hurts to replace stuff long as its not to hard on the wallet. Hopefully that'll do it because its not really a problem but it is annoying as crap. Thanks a lot man.

Comment

Well I replaced the pcv valve and its still acting up. Anyone have any other ideas as to what would cause my car to do this? I hate stupid little annoying things like this

Comment

This is a repair/maintenance issue so I'm going to move this to General Tech.

I've never heard of that happening before in an automatic (my first thought was your clutch is slipping but you don't have a clutch). Comforting, eh? [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

what is the tach reading when it does this?
                1978 Formula 461 in progress of being built :rock:
                2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

former owner of 85 bird w/ 2.8 - 3.4 - 3800 II - 5.0
                94 comero 3.4

Comment

Usually it happens when I come to a half way stop then go take off again. So when it happens the tach is at maybe 1500 - 2500. When it happens, the tach goes up like its making the power but I'm not really accelerating. I have great luck. I always have the weird problems.....

Comment

When the tranny started going on the 93 Bonnie I had, the tach would start to go up & down w/out putting additional pressure on the gas pedal. Turned out the clutch paks were slipping & the TCC was crapping out. Get your tranny fluid checked, & also see if the shop & do any diagnostics on the tcc while i the car.
                    2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

My 95 3.4 does the EXACT same thing. I have checked my fluid level, as well as my PCV already. Well I hope you figure yours out so I can figure mine out. [img]smile.gif[/img]

-JinX

Comment

have fluid condition checked. The Bonnie had coolant leaked into the tranny & fudged up the paks. Not all that cheap to repair on the car.
                        2013 Ram 1500 Big Horn

94 comero 3.4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                          Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                          by ssms5411
                          Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                          1 week ago
                        • RPDRed6
                          For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                          by RPDRed6
                          Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                          3 weeks ago
                        • ssms5411
                          No start problem
                          by ssms5411
                          So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                          4 weeks ago
                        • SixShooter'00Camaro
                          Revival
                          by SixShooter'00Camaro
                          Working on getting my 99 Camaro back in action. Long story short, got parked in the garage about 5 years ago (kids, career stuff ect.) trying to get her...
                          4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X