Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Consumption

Hello,

I have a 2000 camaro, 3.8 l that has approx. 45,000 miles on it.

Every oil change (approx. 3,000) the car is a 3/4 to a complete quart low. No blue smoke and the compression test expressed the car is fine (no 10% or higher variance between pistons - all pistons w/in manufacture specs. according to the dealership).

Mobil 1 synthetic has been used since approx. 5,000 miles. All oil changes, approx. 3,000 miles and I can count on both hands the number of times the rev limiter has been hit. The car is simply a daily driver (normal driving), typically shifted between 2,000 - 2,500 rpms.

No oil leaks

No real modifications other than a catback exhaust and whisper lid.

Is this kind of mystery oil consumption normal for this motor?

Thank you and have a good day.

Dave

youre burning/loosing oil somewhere. mine is pretty much right where i left it every time i change it. that oil isnt just disappearing
    ;)

once you fill your oil and check the level, ive found that if you run the engine for a min or two and then check it again it will go down that first time. after you change the oil and check the engine check it again and see where the level is on the stick, then fill it to where it should be.

[ November 18, 2003: Message edited by: Loochy88 ]</p>

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
    Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Check the bottom of the engine and trasnmission, and see if they are coated with oil.

You may have one of those new rear main seals that GM's been testing. It leaks oil out at a metered rate, so you just keep topping it off with fresh oil, and never have to do a complete oil change :rolleyes:
      Wife and a dog, they both think they\'re Kujo.<br /> <br />1999 3.8 A4 Y87<br />Navy Blue Metallic<br />BFG G-Force KDWS 275/40/17s, <br />WS6 Wheels (17x9)<br />Phoenix Transmissions 2400 Stall Converter<br />FRA, Holley Powershot filter, Whisper Lid, Ported Throttlebody<br />2000 manifolds, Flowmaster, WS6 Tail Pipes, <br />MSD 8.5mm Wires, MSD Coils, Autolite plugs<br />Performance Cryogenics treated rotors<br />1LE Sway Bars and panhard rod, 1LE front springs w/SLP Bilsteins, stock rear springs w/ 3rd Gen Bilsteins, BMR STB, KBDD SFCs, 1LE rear lower control arms, 1LE front lower control arms<p>1968 Chevelle Malibu 327 TH350

Comment

Hello,

The rear main seal is moist by the bottom of the motor/tranny is not coated.

When I change the oil, it is typically a 1/4 of a quart above the full level....

Maybe it does like to eat the synthetic oil? Two different mechanics can not figure it out....

Tough one...

Comment

mine consumes a full quart about every 3 months.... sux, never heard of it with the 3.8 though

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
            Good to see the site is back up
            by 2.8 Bird
            So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
            3 days ago
          • FirebirdGT
            New Site Hosting Issues
            by FirebirdGT
            All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
            2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X