Tranny problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny problems

On my buddy's 99 camaro v6 auto he is having problems with the shifter/tranny, when it is in park it acts like it is in reverse, when it is in reverse it acts like it is in neutral and neutral and all the other gears are normal...personally i thought maybe the linkage slipped or something and i was wondering how to get the center console out enough to gain access to the linkage where the shifter is...can anyone help, please post your thought on possible solutions, causes of this problem, and/or how to gain access under the center console...thanks for all that help
    dacandystore

How many miles are on his car? has he ever had a tranny rebuild?

From the sound of it, the gears inside the transmission could be fubar'd and he might need a rebuild. Is he hard on it at all? Going in for the linkage from the center console could be it too, sounds reasonable, Ive just never heard of that b4.

*for future-this goes in drivetrain*
    2000 3800 II V6 Firebird<br />various small mods, bigger stuff later.

Comment

Originally posted by phoenix6:
      How many miles are on his car? has he ever had a tranny rebuild?

From the sound of it, the gears inside the transmission could be fubar'd and he might need a rebuild. Is he hard on it at all? Going in for the linkage from the center console could be it too, sounds reasonable, Ive just never heard of that b4.

*for future-this goes in drivetrain*
      It only has about 35-40 thousand miles on it, and sorry about the mispost, i wasnt sure where to put it
      dacandystore

Comment

Its all good man ;)

Hrmm, thats not alot of miles for this kind of problem, unless he rags on it.

While reversing, does he pop it into drive while the car is still kinda rollin? Ive heard that can screw things up sometimes.

To get into that area u have to take out the entire center console, starting with the screws in that lil arm rest compartment.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...er_install.htm

Thats a shifter install on a V8, but it tells you how to get the center console off, should be pretty much the same thing, most of the articles on that site have helped me alot with my 6.
        2000 3800 II V6 Firebird<br />various small mods, bigger stuff later.

Comment

its called a new shifter cable. try it.
          brink<br />1998 White Camaro 3.8L V6:<br />Flowmaster Exhaust<br />No cat (straight pipe)<br />Free Ram-Air<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/98camaro98\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/98camaro98</a>

Comment

Originally posted by brink:
            Are you sure it's the shifter cable, and how much does one cost, and how hard to put in
            dacandystore

Comment

Originally posted by dacandystore:
              </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by brink:
              Are you sure it's the shifter cable, and how much does one cost, and how hard to put in </font>[/QUOTE]Would i need the 4 foot one or the 5 foot one?
              dacandystore

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X