No announcement yet.

Pennzoil? Good?? BAD????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever notice that yellowish/brown color on the underside of the oil fill cap? That's parafin wax residue. That's the bad side of Pennsoil. I used to use Pennsoil religiously in my previous cars until I took one of my engines apart. Geesh.....talk about NASTY. There was residue all over the place. I immediately switched to Valvoline. I've never had any problems with Pennsoil, but after seeing that crap I was convinced. With an engine that has a lot of miles, I don't think the residue will hurt. Probably keep it together better.. :D , but on a newer engine. I'd start out with something a little cleaner. I also put Prolong in my cars, including the Porsche. I don't know of any other oil that adds parafin wax to their products....do you?
    Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD....you wanna hit it, but you\'re affraid of the consequences...<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=244935\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=244935</a>

Comment

316,690 miles on my Series I Olds. Pennzoil all the way. 5W30 for me. Both Pennzoil and Quaker State are innately cleaner oils because they come from primarily Appalachian Oil, which is far different from the pitch-like crude of the middle-east. Appalachian oil is much easier and cheaper to refine because of its purity, and relative lack of heavy tar/pitch/wax and such molecules.

DK

Comment

124,000 miles on the '93 dakota. pennzoil+marvel mystery oil all the way. i dont have wax buildup on the oil filler cap. i need to pull the intake manifold i will let you know what the lifter looks like (the windage tray gasket is leaking and no this is not related to pennzoil -- bad gasket design by mopar)

Comment

well... im still undecided i guess... would switching one time to valvoline max be a bad idea? i also use lucas oil treatment every time.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
          Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

I just changed my oil sunday night and I used pennzoil, im reading all of these people talk trash about, im wondering if I should go change it again and use another brand

Comment

Mobil 1 all the way... :cool:
              --chris--

Comment

Nope, no need to change your oil.

There is a big difference between people talking trash about a product - based usually and soley on bias, than someone showing you a product that is harmful or does not work.

Pennzoil passes SAE specs, therefore there is nothing wrong with it, and it is safe to use.

I also have never, ever seen a yellowish-brown buildup. In fact browinsh oil indicates a cracked block or head, in which coolant is mixing with oil.

Stand back everyone! He's gonna start the engine, he's running Pennzoil and a Fram!!! :rolleyes:
                <b>15.41</b> @ 89.80 & 15.45 @ <b>91.64</b>, 2.21 60ft, 3,440 raceweight, using <b>OEM</b> Equipment. <br />\'98 L67/M49 w/ 134,000 miles before spun bearing. \"<i>It\'s all stock, Baby</i>!\"

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by kahouna23:
                  Ever notice that yellowish/brown color on the underside of the oil fill cap? That's parafin wax residue. That's the bad side of Pennsoil. I used to use Pennsoil religiously in my previous cars until I took one of my engines apart. Geesh.....talk about NASTY. There was residue all over the place. I immediately switched to Valvoline. I've never had any problems with Pennsoil, but after seeing that crap I was convinced. With an engine that has a lot of miles, I don't think the residue will hurt. Probably keep it together better.. :D , but on a newer engine. I'd start out with something a little cleaner. I also put Prolong in my cars, including the Porsche. I don't know of any other oil that adds parafin wax to their products....do you?<hr></blockquote>

[img]graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
                  Every oil manufacterer uses wax in there oils. It helps bring up viscosity levels. After refining the oil all the wax is gone. Most oil company's refine there oil's only once. Pennzoil refines theres twice. So the resedue you are talking about is not from wax. There is no wax in the oil after it has been refined. Pennzoil is good ****.

Comment

I've used Pennzoil once or twice in my life. I've used Quaker State. I've tried Castro once and Valvoline once. Usually I used Havoline. THEN I tried MaxLife. I felt the difference immediately. The engine feels smoother&lt;shrug&gt;, and between oil changes, I burn a lot less oil. Been using it since....nothing wrong with the other oils. They all have to meet SAE specs and the API symbol on the back of the bottle shows it.
                    1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

well, i guess ill stick to the pennzoil. (its like my grandpa always said, if its not broke, dont fix it)

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
                      Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

As long as it has that SAE posted on it then it is safe to use. It really depends who you talk to or who you ask.

Personally I've used Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil, Royal Purple in the past. But since I bought my Firebird I've been using Mobil Syn Tech. Since I've been buying this, I decided to use it on all my cars.

1998 Firebird . 1989 Firebird XS . 1986 Fiero GT

Comment

I've only used pennzoil and mobil 1 in my beast. Pennzoil when I can't afford synthetic. I never had a problem with my engine. The car loves it. :D
                          1994 Chevrolet Camaro 3.4L A4 (160hp 200tq)<br />2006 Nissan 350Z 3.5L M6 (300hp 260tq)

Comment

FWIW: Take a few hours and go over this entire site. Then make your decisions based on the facts! ;)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
                            Jason McCallister, Founder & Webmaster<br /><a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org\" target=\"_blank\">West Tennessee F-Body Association, Inc.</a><br /><br />2000 Camaro - <a href=\"http://www.wtfba.org/site/view_member.php?ID=68\" target=\"_blank\">Details</a>

Comment

well, i read about as much as i can handle. the moderators dont seem to like mmo much because the product has been around a while and will 'thin your oil'. but no actual testing of the actual product (only positive anecdotal evidence). granted, i only use 1 pt of mmo per 5 qts of oil due to the thinning concern. but the idea that the product might be harmful because it hasnt been 'updated' seems a bit off the wall.

i also dont know how to take the foaming caused by the lucas oil stabilizer. that little gear box is a scale model so results will not be very meaningful until the products viscosities are scaled to match.

however, i am curious about this auto-rx product. it does seem to cure everything (including rear main seal leaks if you believe the web site -- www.auto-rx.com). i didnt see any negative comments though. i worry about product that can fix seal leaks (i.e. is it a seal 'conditioner' or a seal 'sweller').

Comment

Well I strongly suggest switching from Pennzoil to something else. The worst thing that could happen is that when you switch, you might get more oil leaks. But thats only if the car has a lot of miles on it and been using Pennzoil the whole time. But if you have a newer car, you'll be fine. Nothing else could happen from changing to something else.
                                2003 Nissan 350Z Touring Coupe, Daytona Blue, Frost leather interior, navigation, 18 inch wheels, M6, fully loaded, intake, crank pulley.<br /><br />Previous cars:<br />1991 Mustang (347)<br />2002 RS Camaro<br />1985 IROC-Z (305)<br />1994 Camaro convertible V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X