my 4th rear main seal in 5k miles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my 4th rear main seal in 5k miles

Ive been taking my car to two places to get my rear main seal done and it still ends up leaking after like 300 miles. They say it could be my harmonic balancer or my tranny oil pump or torque converter pump or something like that.. can anyone help, I cant drop hundreds of dollars for diagnostics.
    Mystic Teal Metallic
    ET:15.1 NA 14.3@96 MPH 75 Dry Shot

sounds like you need to find another shop...I don't charge for diagnosing oil leaks..this ain't rocket science. Do you know by chance if they "sleeved" the new rear main seal or not? What this does is put a small shim over the crankshaft to provide the seal with a good surface to ride on, seals can actually cause grooves to wear in the crankshaft and if they aren't sleeved the new seal won't seal properly
    2005 Magnum

Comment

Or maybe it's not the rear main.....
      2005 Magnum

Comment

like something is leaking besides the rear main? They replaced the oil pan gasket then my rear main went.. and it keeps going
        Mystic Teal Metallic

Comment

Perhaps what they are seeing is the back of the oil pan leaking and they are mistaking it for a rear main because "we just replaced the oil pan gasket, it can't be that".
          2005 Magnum

Comment

well before it was leaking tranny fluid

it was like red now ts yellow like oil (mobil one) Could it be the oil pan gasket?
            Mystic Teal Metallic

Comment

so the first time it was leaking trans fluid, what did they replace..trans pump seal or what..did they replace the rear main at the same time "just cause they were in there"....I love that excuse. And yes I have seen alot of dip**** mechanics replace rear main seals when it was actually a oil pan gasket and vice versa.
              2005 Magnum

Comment

well, if it is your rear main seal, most likely they are not installing it properly or you have damage like cuts and such preventing things from sealing
                2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

Are you using synthetic oil? You need to use fossil oil for the first 500 miles so the seal will set properly.

Comment

^^^what is that? :rolleyes:
                    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

the type of oil you are using... syn or not...has nothing to do with the seal doing it's job properly
                      2005 Magnum

Comment

or it could be crank walk which is causing the seal to move and not seal...how many miles on the car?
                        Ben<br /><br />1995 White/Black 3.4L<br />As far away from stock as possible<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/view_page.pl?page_id=288292\" target=\"_blank\">My Site!!!</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.redlinevsix.com\" target=\"_blank\">RedLineV6</a><br />Rebuild and 3.4 T70 Turbo is complete<br />Details to come....

Comment

Originally posted by 38fury:
                          Are you using synthetic oil? You need to use fossil oil for the first 500 miles so the seal will set properly.
                          wow really :rolleyes: or he should use some cooking oil too

Comment

yes synthetic and the mechanics said that it could be crank walk, but there are only 51k miles on the damn thing.. It leaks like a few drops every night nothing pivotal but i still would like it to be tip top!
                            Mystic Teal Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by BiH:
                              </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by 38fury:
                              wow really :rolleyes: or he should use some cooking oil too </font>[/QUOTE]Fossil oil if you didn't know is regular oil, or if you are trying to be funny you're not. MOST seals require using regular oil to seal properly. So instead of being a smart *** you can try and help him trouble shoot.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X