Gas gague broken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas gague broken

Either i've got unlimited free gas for life, or my gas gague is broken.

Is there anyway I'd be able to fix this? and how would i go about doing it

might be your fuel level sending unit, its a thingy in the tank. http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm thats probaly what the problem is.i think you might have to drop the gas tank to do it thought,not sure though.hope that helps a little.good luck
    1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

Fuel Sending unit. It's part of the fuel pump assembly. Mine was going left and right for half a yr and recently, my pump went out. I did the "trap door" way and replaced the whole pump assy.

99 and up has a different tank and pump location. I found out after dremeling the wrong spot on the online install guide that was for a Firebird Formula. But, I see you have a 98 so it should still be about 5 or 6 nuts to unscrew.
      1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

incase your wondering here is the trap door way he is talking about.http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm good luck.
        1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

or it could be
          the fuse. [img]graemlins/omg.gif[/img]
          2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

What fuse would that be? The Gas Gage Fuse? :D
            1999 Pewter Camaro M5<br />Y87 Performance Package, Sport Appearance Package, Diamond Clears<br />Factory SS Hood, Free Ram Air Mod, Whisper Lid w/ K&N Air Filter<br />CarSound Cat 94009, B&B Tri-Flo w/ Quad Tips<br />BMR SFC, BMR STB, KVR Blank Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads<br />Black Painted Calipers w/ CAMARO Decal, 245/50 Dunlop SP Sport 5000<br />20% Rear 35% Side Tint, Red Reflective Inlays, Invincishield<br /><b>Young girls avert their eyes, weak men tremble, Ford dealers faint.</b>

Comment

Originally posted by loser:
              incase your wondering here is the trap door way he is talking about.http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm good luck.

I thought they sell parts. Not install/help guides.

Here is the guide I was looking at. But never even occured to me that I had a 99 and that it might be different [img]redface.gif[/img]
              http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12533/index.html

Comment

Thanks for all the help!
                So, F1GT, i don't have to cut anything on my 98, just unscrew some bolts?
                And it could be a blown fuse, but it wavers around a quarter full to totally full around start up.

Thanks again for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Nbajwill55:
                  Thanks for all the help!
                  So, F1GT, i don't have to cut anything on my 98, just unscrew some bolts?
                  And it could be a blown fuse, but it wavers around a quarter full to totally full around start up.

Thanks again for the help!
                  Nope, you still have to perform surgery on her. Follow the above guide in my prior post. They changed the tank for 99s and up. If you look at the link, after you slice her open, there are about 5 nuts holding the pump in place. On my car it's different, mine has a screw ring to hold it in, and was a PITA to unscrew.

There is only a pump fuse, no fuel gauge fuse.

Comment

I have a 2000 Camaro V6 with this problem. What is the difference in location between that link and the newer Camaros? I don't want to slice up my baby without being in the right place.

Also, has anyone come up with a decent looking replacement panel once the hole is cut? I've seen pics someone took after they cut a panel and put a bunch of screws into it. I was think more along the lines of using rivets. Just as sturdy and less of a profile after it's completed.
                    2000 Camaro V6<br />I\'ve done nothing to my car worth note. :)

Comment

yup yup, me three. gas gauge reads full always until i stop with less than 1/4 tank and then it's all the way to empty. done it for a year now, so i'm thinking time to break out the scalpel (dremel). someone told me it could be a bad ground or sumthing like that but i hate electrical and besides that sending unit needs replacement anyways so when i get home i'm flippin around the hat and havin at it.

one thing worries me tho; duh, dont major sparks and gas tanks not mix?!
                      2000 3.8L Camaro A4 Pewter Y87<br />K&N Filter, SLP Ram Air kit, Eibach Pro Kit, Flowmaster 80 series, Silverstars, NGK plugs and MSD Super Conductor Wires, Electric Water Pump

Comment

i thought u'd appreciate me filling your tank everynight after you fell asleep...
                        *Matt

Old people shouldnt use the internet.

Comment

Here's my address. Fill up mine for me.

Or better yet, come drop my tank and change out my level sender for me. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                          2000 Camaro V6<br />I\'ve done nothing to my car worth note. :)

Comment

when you cut the don't forget to use some rust proof primer and some sealer/paint.

also here is a guide. i have notes near the top of the guide about the 99+ cars. basically the 'width' dimensions are the same but you need to start cutting 'lower' (towards the back of car) and you don't need to go so high (not so close to the back seat) Check out the pic.
                            http://home.comcast.net/~grayman99/Fuel-Pump.htm

for the cover plate i saved the piece i cut out and sadnwiched it between two plates of galvanized ducting. (this makes for a strong/firm cover) I used stainless steel screws and it is a good idea to use something for a gasket (to reduce road/muffler noise such as sticky back foam insulation.... you know...the stuff you put in house door jams.)

once the carpet is put back in place you don't know that anything has been done to the trunk.

[ January 19, 2006, 05:31 AM: Message edited by: grayman ]
                            01 Firebird A4 3.42
                            Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
                            and other mods
                            Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X