Fuel Problems solved, but not fixed. Need expert opinons - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel Problems solved, but not fixed. Need expert opinons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Problems solved, but not fixed. Need expert opinons

Alright, here is the deal. There is a grey wire that goes from the fuse box all the way through the car to the fuel pump. This wire is what gives the fuel pump power. Somehow... there is no power coming through that wire. I know this for a fact because i ran a wire of my own from the aux power source under the hood to the wire and both pumps powered up and the car turned on for the first time in weeks.

I know for a fact the fuel pump relay is good because i took it out and switched it with the relay that is used for the car horn. Same part number and everything.

So now i am thinking 1 of 2 things. Either the grey wire is severed somewhere between the fuse box and the fuel pump (i don't want to tear apart the car to find out where) OR my car has cut off power to the fuel pump for a reason. I don't think its the later of the two reasons because i am not throwing any codes.

Anyone know where that grey wire runs? Or is is just easier to rerun a new wire to the fuel pump cause thats what i am leaning towards doing.

Any ideas?
    - Ryan<br /> A.K.A BATMAN<br /> \"Be part of the solution...<br /> Not the problem\"

id say run a brand new slightly lower gauge wire from a 12V source.

it cant hurt, if anything it will give you better current for the fuel.

now im not sure if the PCM controls the fuel pressure by adjusting the voltage to the pump or not, but check on that. if it doesnt, run a new wire, and while your at it, put a switch on the wire, and hide it somewhere in your car. that will give you a hidden kill switch.

Comment

I would also go with a better setup. Holley and several other companies make a simple kit that includes around a 30amp relay, a couple wires, and instructions on what to wire where. This is what alot of the big time hotrodders do to give their pump a little more constant and slightly boosted voltage/current supply. You can make it yourself as well from regular parts you can get at the parts store or even radio shack.
      <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a> THE SOURCE!

Comment

I ran a seperate wire this morning. I ran it so it only turns on when i turn the key. My car starts a lot quicker than it did before. Everything is fine now. As for the grey wire... who knows what happened. I guess i will never know
        - Ryan<br /> A.K.A BATMAN<br /> \"Be part of the solution...<br /> Not the problem\"

Comment

sweet man, glad it worked.

you basically "hotwired" the fuel pump.

thats the "street term" for it, lol.

now you can put a shady *** kill switch on it.

Comment

good diag process.
            if the pcm were cutting the fuel pump tho, it would do it by turning off the fp relay.
            when you have time you may want to re-route the wire to the relay so you wont have the extra 4-5 amps running thr your ign switch.
            ASE Master, L1, X1, C1. Instructor in automotive systems. 99 3800 4L60E with a few mods and a greatful dead sticker on the back window.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
              Good to see the site is back up
              by 2.8 Bird
              So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
              3 days ago
            • FirebirdGT
              New Site Hosting Issues
              by FirebirdGT
              All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
              2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X