Hard Startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Startup

I had my starter motor replaced last month after it died (not sure if this helps but alt. was replaced 2 months ago) and the rough starting/long starting period was over. But now its starting to have difficult startups like the cars really struggling to turn over the engine. It took about 3 seconds last night to start up the car (does this 1/10 times i wanna say)...anyone know what is causing this?
    *SLP Cold Air Intake<br />*RK Sport Welded Headers/Y-Pipe<br />*High Flow Cat. Converter<br />*B&B Tri-Flo Cat. Back<br />*Charcoal Leather Interior<br />*Fiberglass Fabricators SS Hood<br />*13.1\"/Dual Piston Corvette Brakes (Front)<br />*12\"/Single Piston Brakes (Rear)<br />*17\" ZR1 w/ 275/40/17 all round<br />*Z28 Dashboard Cluster<br />*99 Trans-Am Rear Axle<br />*35% Side & Rear Black Tint

not a clue. I wish I did know. I have the 100% exactly problem, only mine has been doing this for over a year and I have gone thru 2 starters and 2 alternators. I just replaced my TB and MAF sensor and my car starts up 50% better. Next thing I am doing is injectors.

[ November 24, 2003: Message edited by: cassie ]</p>
    Soon to be Mommy!<br />2005 Honda Pilot EX-L

Comment

Im guessing fuel related. does it sound like its trying to fire up? or do you just hear the starter then all of a suddon the engine turns on?

Does it only happen on cold starts?

[ November 24, 2003: Message edited by: TheRealWave ]</p>
      2002 Black FireBird M5 2-5-02<br />Red BMR strut bar<br />Dynomax Super Turbo muffler with FastToys.com tips.<br />4 Coats of Zaino - Better every time<p>Need to post pictures? Do it <a href=\"http://www.thenebula.com/carpics/\" target=\"_blank\">here</a>. its <b>easy</b> and <b>free</b>.<br />Change your own oil. <a href=\"http://www.thenebula.com/firebird/oil/\" target=\"_blank\">click here</a>.

Comment

I think its fuel related as well.

If its worse when its cold and you KNOW your battery is good, then its probably fuel pump or injectors.

Next time its not starting youc an see if there is fuel pressure in the fuel rails by pressing down the schrader valve, but thats not a 100% answer because when MY fuel pump was going out it TESTED 100% when it was working or it didn't work at all, I had no in between!

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by TheRealWave:
          does it sound like its trying to fire up? or do you just hear the starter then all of a suddon the engine turns on?

Does it only happen on cold starts?

[ November 24, 2003: Message edited by: TheRealWave ]
          <hr></blockquote>

Ya it only happens during cold starts, and all u hear at first is the starter...if u stop halfway it doesnt do anything (the car stays not running) but if u go all the way through it eventually starts up.
          *SLP Cold Air Intake<br />*RK Sport Welded Headers/Y-Pipe<br />*High Flow Cat. Converter<br />*B&B Tri-Flo Cat. Back<br />*Charcoal Leather Interior<br />*Fiberglass Fabricators SS Hood<br />*13.1\"/Dual Piston Corvette Brakes (Front)<br />*12\"/Single Piston Brakes (Rear)<br />*17\" ZR1 w/ 275/40/17 all round<br />*Z28 Dashboard Cluster<br />*99 Trans-Am Rear Axle<br />*35% Side & Rear Black Tint

Comment

Haynes:
            Engine hard to start when cold.
            1. Check battery &lt;-- not your prob
            2. Fuel not reaching injectors. Check fuel filter and lines. &lt;-- my guess is this
            3. Defective spark plugs &lt;-- how many miles are on yours?
            4. intake vacuum leaks &lt;--make sure your hoses are not cracked and are sucure.

Your both loosing alts and starters because the starter take a LOT of amps and power to turn the engine. that drains the batt quick and then the alt is working extra hard to charge it back up which will shorten its life a lot. The long periods of the starter being run will shorten its life.

[ November 24, 2003: Message edited by: TheRealWave ]</p>
            2002 Black FireBird M5 2-5-02<br />Red BMR strut bar<br />Dynomax Super Turbo muffler with FastToys.com tips.<br />4 Coats of Zaino - Better every time<p>Need to post pictures? Do it <a href=\"http://www.thenebula.com/carpics/\" target=\"_blank\">here</a>. its <b>easy</b> and <b>free</b>.<br />Change your own oil. <a href=\"http://www.thenebula.com/firebird/oil/\" target=\"_blank\">click here</a>.

Comment

"intake vacuum leaks" I think that might be it...I have a egr tube that leaks cause of the headers quality...do you think that the engines taking in air through the tube?

Comment

Id try the obvious first....test the battery with a voltmeter or dvom. It should read at least 12.6 V or better. Make sure the battery conections are good and not corroded. Check the cable from the battery to the starter. Itd be nice if you had an ammeter so you could see how much current your starter was drawing.
                <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/y87inside\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/y87inside</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                  Good to see the site is back up
                  by 2.8 Bird
                  So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                  3 days ago
                • FirebirdGT
                  New Site Hosting Issues
                  by FirebirdGT
                  All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                  2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X