GM engenuity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM engenuity

Im sure you guys have seen the posts about the security light coming on because of a broken wire on the lock cylinder.
    I just got mine replaced for 320 bucks. I looked at the old part and saw how stupid GM is.
    Every time you start your car, you have to push in your key and the top part of the lock cylinder comes together with the bottom part. Our good buddies over at GM made the two wires for the pass 2 ignition come out right between these two parts. So, essentially, every time you start your car youre clamping down on this wire, then ripping it up when you turn the key. No wonder so many people have problems.
    Dont you guys think something as blatant as this should be recalled? Because as far as I know any chevy with a stock security system has this ignition and has had it for a while. GM really sucks.
    Anyways Ill get off my soapbox now.

I had the exact same thing happen on my 95. Cost over $350.00 to get fixed.
    If I knew then what I know now, I never would have paid to have it fixed.
    I have a pretty good aftermarket alarm on my car, with ignition kill and remote start all that, so the factory VATS is not that important to me.

When I put in my alarm I didn't want to have to pay $50 for the VATS remote start bypass module, so I metered the resistance of the chip in my key, put a couple resistors together to get approximately the same value (mine was like 6.08K Ohms). Then I found the two white wires running up my steering column and jumped them together with the resistors. VATS effectively disabled.

If I had known that when my ignition cylinder wires broke, I could have bypassed it then instead of paying to have it fixed. Costs a whopping $1.49 to bypass....
    If you can live without the VATS, this is the way to go.

Oh well, live and learn.
    1995 Camaro 3.4L A4<br />Check out my other ride. <a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/820732\" target=\"_blank\">www.sounddomain.com/ride/820732</a>

Comment

Can you guys please explain in detail over what you are talking about?
      My car sometimes doesn't start, and I have to keep messing with the key to get it fired up. I would really like to know how to fix it.
      Yeah, GM did some stupid things over the years, and getting rid of the F-Body is at the top of my ranks. I would loike to know how to fix this VATS screw-up before the non starting problem haunts me again.

-Marc
      sigpic

Comment

Next time your car wont start, look to see if the security light is on, if it is you have to wait til it goes off before you can start your car (about 3 minutes). This is because of two little wires that run up to the lock cylinder and measure the resistance of the chip in your key (its an anti theft device). One breaks over time causing your car to measure the wrong resistance and think someone is steeling your car.

Comment

Hey.... That has happened to me too.

I always disconnect the battery for a while and reset the computer.
          1999 red camaro v6 M5: with a turbo<br />13.52@107.99<br />No, seriously: Who Farted? <br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/600086\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/600086</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X