new alt, new starter, car is POS, please help! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new alt, new starter, car is POS, please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new alt, new starter, car is POS, please help!

Hey guys, long time no see? I got a 1994 camaro with some problems which hopefully you guys can help me out fixing. Let me try to explain it all.

I've had the car for 3 years. I've gone through 2 altenators and 2 batteries. I have a gaint stereo in which it pulls alot of current from both and they fry. The starter I am assuming was the original.

Car would always start hard after driving, since day one. If it was cold it would start every time, but once it got warm or hot outside it would mess up and crank very hard over. Sometimes it would start, othertimes I had to sit and wait for it to cool off. I knew the starter needed to be replaced but was a pain in the *** to replace.

So about a week ago, I drove the car around Thursday I think it was, went to las vegas friday, saturday, sunday with some buddies (not in the camaro), came back, tried that monday to start it to go to work and nothing. Dimm lights and the car would not crank over. I can hear all the clickings under the car as well as in the dash. Voltage reads 11.8 volts I think it was. I came out that monday night to jump start it and let me tell you it was so hard to jump start it was weird. fMy girlfriends 4-runner rev'ed up would not start it. I tried my truck and after fighting with it for 10 minutes or so it started. Turned it off/on a few times. All seemed to work ok. Drove it into the parking lot and shut it off. Came back out the next day and the battery said 10.5 volts. I was like "wtf" I decided at that point to get new starter, alt, and get the battery checked out.

So I got a new starter, alt replaced under lifetime warrenty even though it tested out ok, and the battery took back to sears and had them charge it. They said nothing was wrong with it besides it had 0 cold cranking amps and 0 volts. When I pulled the battery out of the car it was dead as a door knob. No lights, no nothing.

SO....last night (1 week later) I tried to replace everything. Replaced it all and went to start the car. Turn the key and it says on my digital voltage guage 12.4. Car starts......dies quickly (i think just from sitting) and then would not re-crank over. Everything clicks just as before. Now battery says 11.8 volts and wont go. I am going to re-check this today after work and see what it says. If it is lower than 11.8 volts I am going to guess the battery is bad. Stereo is disconnected from battery.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? Battery is 2 years old, but has been drained once, and been jumped a couple of times. Alt and starter are brand new. I've never had any kind of problem before like this. Any help would be great!

Thanks,
    Chris

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by spunger:
    and the battery took back to sears and had them charge it. They said nothing was wrong with it besides it had 0 cold cranking amps and 0 volts. When I pulled the battery out of the car it was dead as a door knob. No lights, no nothing.

Thanks,
    Chris
    <hr></blockquote>

They didn't test it after they charged it then? I'd say start with the battery, charge it up and have a load test done on it at autozone or somewhere other than Sears, then take it back to them if it is bad. Sounds like it may have a dead cell or 2.

Comment

I usually post my questions on the different camaro boards. I got a replie from another member that this may be what it is, a bad cell or 2.

They did NOT do a load test. They simply ran it on some gizmo that showed 0 cold cranking amps, 0 volts and the tech gave me some story on how they have bitten down on warrenty deals. I understood and he said he can charge it. It was charged, pretty warm when I got it.

What I might do is take the battery out of my truck and hook it up to my camaro and try it. If it starts right up with no problems I am going to take it to sears and ream them a new one. IF it doesn't then I have a whole nother problem on my hands.

I too think it is the battery. Thanks for your help though.

Chris

Comment

Def sounds like the battery...normal batteries are not meant to be run dead either. Thats what usually causes the cells to die.
        <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

Also wanted to add, you should have your system checked for parasitic drain to make sure there is not something else in the equation as well.

Comment

What is parasitic drain? How do I test for it? I am going to pull my optima off my truck and give it a whirl. If all works fine and it starts right up with that then I know for 100% sure that battery is just a POS.

Please tell me more about this parasitic drain.

Chris

Comment

It's basically a key off drain. Usually a short or something that is not hooked up properly. It's a fairly complicated description on how to test it, you need to have a digital ammeter and know what the normal draw for your car is, ecm,radio memory and such.

I found a site on this awhile back about how to test and not to test, it's pdf so need acrobat to read it.

http://www.mightyap.com/Data/TT63.pdf

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X