start up problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• start up problem

well everytime i let my car sit for over a half hour and i go to start my car. it turns over put it wont start. i have to give it a little gas for it to start... also this morning i notice when i turn the key i heard a weird noise from under the hood, like whine. any ideas?

Is it mainly on restarts when the engine is still warm and not during overnight start ups? Have you had the injectors checked? Could be leaking.

Another way to check if you have one, is to hook a fuel pressure guage up, let it run for a few minutes then shut it off and let it sit to see if and how fast the pressure drops.

[ August 25, 2003: Message edited by: camarofan ]</p>

Comment

it starts up fine on restart it just happens if i let it sit for a while. i've had a misfire on cylinder one that i can't solve, had my wires plugs and coils change, high pressure fuel injector cleaner and it still misfiring. dealer can't figure out the problem, the bad starts just started to happen. i don't know if the two problems are linked together.... any ideas????????

Comment

well like i said i hear a noise when i turn the ignition half way. i hear this as if a electic motor is being turn on. if i turn the key to the on and off postion a couple of time the car start up as normal. even if its been standing for a while. if it only been off for a couple of minutes it starts right up no problem. and idea guys what wrong?

thanks

Comment

I have the same problem I think. I took mine in and they kept it for a week and could never reprodude it so of course I have to live with it til it gets to where it does it constantly or something. I've found that if it dies like that, you turn the key to the on position then off, then on, then off, then on, giving it a few seconds each time in the on position and then start and it goes fine... Its not a great solution nor is it scientiffic but it works for me til they can figure out whats wrong... or it may just be a coincidence. I replaced the fuel filter and that didn't fix it like I had hoped and I had them look at the fuel pump and they said its fine. Of course they also didn't find a thing wrong anywhere else :rolleyes: . Sorry I can't help but hopefully someone on here can diagnose it.
          Black 2000 Firebird w/ 3.42\'s, LSD, !maf, Whisper Lid, FTRA, K&N Filter. <a href=\"http://www.geocities.com/metallica_forever_69\" target=\"_blank\">My Crappy Page</a>

Comment

i got the same problem..

chenaged plugs, wires, coils, and injectors...
            96 Camaro M5. Dark metallic gree (?dont know the offical color name)<br />Home made Intake :: Headers, 3inch headers back to Flowmaster muffler :: spec stage 3 clutch Now installed, waiting for 3.42\'s and LSD next month<br /><a href=\"http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/RiceEatingCamaro/?action=view&current=newcar.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a> <br /><br />Totalled Car.<br /><a href=\"http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/k/sk8er305/\" target=\"_blank\">96 CamaroRS</a>

Comment

It still sounds like some sort of fuel pressure related issue. When you are turning the ignition on, then off, then on again, it is priming the pump and fuel lines. Just building the line pressure back up.

In the first post of this topic you said you heard a whine coming from under the hood. Are you sure it was under the hood? And not from the tank?
              The pump whining for a few seconds at key on is completely normal. Without completely ruling out fuel pressure issues it is hard to move onto something else.

Comment

its not the usual whine when you turn the key to on. its kinda hard to explain, i've had a misfire forever and i can't figure out the problem. its always cylinder on that is missing. i've taken it to the dealer and they checked coils, plug, wires. and said they were all fine. they ran a high pressure fuel cleaner, but it did nothing... all the wires and plugs have less then 8k miles on them. it missed before i changed them and after,, its really starting to piss me off... if this helps i had a underbody car wash and the engine was missing like crazy. almost on the verge of stalling.... after driving for ten minutes it was back to its normal misfire... any ideas

Comment

You know of anyone else with your year car that might let you swap PCM's for a trial run?

Comment

when i took my car in for diagnosis, the dealer gave me a new pcm. so that can't be the problem....

Comment

probably the starter is going bad

Comment

i would check compression on cylinder one... and i would put a new fuel pump.
                        97\' RS camaro<br />406ci sbc <br />69\' SS camaro<br />383ci sbc

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X