Window Motor Help needed ASAP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Motor Help needed ASAP!

I replaced my driver side window motor about a month or so ago. Today it worked fine when I got to work, when I went to leave and roll the window down, it went down a few inches then just stopped. It won't budge at all now. I can hear a noise when I try to move it up or down, so I guess the motor is still working, what would cause it not to budge though? I took the door panel off and it seems to be on track, and you hear like a clicking sound when you push the window button to go up or down. Just nothing happens! Looks like it's about to rain and my window is open a few inches :mad:
    <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2093533\" target=\"_blank\">CarDomain Page</a>

bust out the tarp and tape!
    Dave:
    00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
    97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

I guess I'm gonna have to do that, and drop it off at the dealer tomorrow. Everytime I turn around something is going wrong with this thing.
      <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2093533\" target=\"_blank\">CarDomain Page</a>

Comment

I had the same problem when I installed my window motor. What type of motor did you get(brand) and where did you get it from? You may have to remove the motor to test it to make sure it is 100% operational and make sure that the teeth are meshing with the gears. Also check the tracks and the routing of the tracks to make sure that everything is as it should be.

Comment

Dealer is also the way to go. I took my camaro to the dealer to have it correctly installed and every technician that I have talked to says that the f-body's are one of the hardest window motors to service. Good luck.

Comment

I bought it from Discount the $50 one with lifetime warranty. It's worked perfect for about a month and a half, then all of a sudden, window won't move at all.

Comment

ive had the same thing happen, but really, these motors arent THAT bad. What happens(at least to me) is the screws came loose and the motor got out of line with the gear, so the motor justs sits there and spins, not moving the window at all. I went in there and replaced the screws and got them as tight as possible(probably should use some locktite or something), and it has been good ever since.
              1997 Y87 Camaro<br />SLP CAI<br />Exhaust cutout currently capped

Comment

Some of these parts, I think it's better to get at the dealer. You may pay twice as much, but these parts store parts with the lifetime warranties... seems like you just have to keep replacing them. They may be free, but your time and aggravation is worth a lot too. I don't know how many lifetime warrantied alternators I used to have to get replaced at Trak Auto. Remember them?
                2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Getting a window motor from a dealer doesn't make it higher quality. The fact is no matter where you get a window motor it could die again. That's just a part of owning these cars. Some people never replace the motors and some people replace them multiple times.

Before you take it into the dealer double check what Brent said. Those bolts will work their way loose. If thats all it is then great easy fix and tops it cost you a few bucks for some new bolts and nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Brent Neader:
                    ive had the same thing happen, but really, these motors arent THAT bad. What happens(at least to me) is the screws came loose and the motor got out of line with the gear, so the motor justs sits there and spins, not moving the window at all. I went in there and replaced the screws and got them as tight as possible(probably should use some locktite or something), and it has been good ever since.
                    Sounds like this is his problem.

Comment

Could you actually tell the motor was spinning? Mine doesn't seem to be, I just hear a slight clicking sound. It's more like the motor is trying to engage or something I guess. It's def. not the gear spinning though. Luckily it never rained last night. I plan on just dropping it off at the dealer Friday night and letting them fix that and install my shocks and probably install some new sockets. Get some stuff done I haven't had time to deal with.

Comment

Motor was dead. Only took a month and a half for the discount auto parts motor to go bad. I had the dealer install a new one, but I'll be taking the old one back to discount. See if they'll give me a refund, if not I'll atleast get another window motor out of it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X