Hypertech Letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypertech Letter

I just wrote this letter, and I will be including this with my unit. Any comments?

------------------------------------------
    To Hypertech-Inc. Engineers:

I would like to thank you for creating a power programmer for the 2000-2002 Fbody V6 platform before I go into my evaluation of this device. As a moderator and long standing member of the camarov6.com message-board, I know how much the v6 community has enjoyed having this product around. I am sending this product back though because it did not deliver what was promised. Here is a list of the four problems in order of priority that I have discovered in the months I’ve owned it:

• On my manual transmission equipped 2002 Camaro, the rev limiter function does not change the actual response of the engine. If I set it for a 6500RPM redline, it still has a rev limiter at 5900RPM in all gears, and the neutral rev limiter of 4500RPM remains the same.
    • The “power programming” for both 87 octane and 93 octane are worthless at the drag strip. After running about 7 passes each with stock, 87, and 93 octane programming, I continuously run 15.2 @ 91.4MPH with my relatively stock 2002 Camaro. I can’t feel or scientifically prove a difference among the programming options. I did these drag tests on the same day running only 93 octane Shell gasoline.
    • The 160°F fan settings are set too high to be useful. While I know that the fans shouldn’t continuously, I am still forced to use my manual fan switch to keep the car around 180°F in traffic with the 160°F thermostat. I recommend, if its possible to add to my programmer, an even lower setting which turns the high-speed fans on at a lower temperature than 195°F.
    • The gearing choices are limited to 3.42 as the shortest setting. With 4.10’s being the lowest popular gears available on the market for the GM 7.5” 10-bolt axle, this is an unacceptable setting for anyone who wants to run 3.73s or numerically higher gearing. Also, due to the limitations you have in the tire size setting for speedometer recalibration, it’s impossible to compensate enough to make up for 3.73 or 4.10 gears.

I purchased this unit from Thunderracing.com for $350.00, and the only thing it has been useful for is removing the top speed limiter! All of the things I hoped to gain for the money I spent, I didn’t. There are several other accounts of manual equipped 2000-2002 Camaro and Firebird drivers who also agree with me on all four accounts listed above, so its not just my unit. I have yet to put my Camaro on the dynamometer, however I feel that’s unnecessary when I haven’t seen a noticeable track performance difference in 21 passes using all three programming choices.

I am currently at a loss for what to do with this programmer since it is so useless to me with all these broken features, so I am hoping you will revise the code and fix these problems, or simply refund my money. You’re welcome to call me at x, or email me at x for any additional information about myself or my car that I didn’t include in this letter.

Thank you,

Dominic Orlando

Hypertech Model # 30009 (2000-2002 Camaro/Firebird 3.8L V6 Power Programmer)
    Serial # 818671
    Version: 02.01.004.02

[ May 29, 2003: Message edited by: Dominic ]</p>
    2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
    Details: www.1lev6.com

Dominic,

First, an edit comment -- in the section on the fans, the second sentence: you need a verb like "run" somewhere in here -- "fans shouldn’t continuously."

Excellent explanation! I see the same thing with my HPP3 on my 2001 Camaro. I thought it was due to the fact that mine was Beta and cost a bit more than $350. Just have not made the chance to get it back to them.

Given the fact that this HPP3 does not deliver, it becomes little more than an expensive dust catcher. So far, the best thing that came with my HPP3 is the decal.

I know that you will keep us posted and depending upon your experience, HyperTech can expect mine back for correction.

Thanks for your efforts.

John
    2001 Camaro M5 Coupe(1 of 2,737), no options, Whisper Lid, K&N Air Filter, Free Ram Air, MAFS Screen removed, SLP Manual Fan Switch, 160 thermo, DEE\'s T/B Spacer, EGR Block-off plate, IAT resistor, CAI to EGR air feed, B&M Ripper Shifter, SLP Replacement Grill, T/A Exhaust, SLP five spoke take-off wheels, BMR strut-tower brace, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR 32/21 front & rear sway bars with poly, BMR Poly/Combo Rear Control Arms, Clear front & rear corners, HPP3 modified 87 Octane program.<p><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/red2k1\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/red2k1</a>

Comment

i feel your pain, but i dont think you can just throw that up against hypertech and think you will get something accomplished.

there is so much i want to say but dont have time maybe later i will get back to ya.
      6s.......under the hood or under the belt, they just dont cut it.

Comment

Well I appreciate the input and I made the correction. If you have input please give it, I haven't yet sent it off (no time) and so I would like any extra info you can give me.

Thanks guys [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
        2002 5-spd NBM Camaro

Comment

Do you think it is wise to return your unit with this letter??

I think it would make more sense to get a reply from them stating a course of action before simply sending your 350$'s worth of hardware back to them.

Edit: You may want to edit your phone # out of the copy you posted. You never know who could get ahold of that ;)

[ May 29, 2003: Message edited by: John D. ]</p>
          2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

I called them and confirmed with them that these problems existed and got an RGA # (similar to RMA#) to send it back with.

I am including this letter to tell the engineers who actually open the box my point of view of the problem, rather than letting them read what the guy wrote about it over the phone.

Thanks on the phone # (whew)
            2002 5-spd NBM Camaro

Comment

Tell them they need to work on 95-99 programming for the 3.8. I'm sure everyone in here with one would jump at the chance to get one if they had it. It can't be that much different than the 00-02s.
              <a href=\"http://www.onid.orst.edu/~waltejam/\" target=\"_blank\">98 Bright Red Camaro</a><br />Too many mods to list....check my website

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X