Intermittent ABS INOP Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermittent ABS INOP Light

This light pops on after I did the spark plugs and wires. I routed the wires EXACTLY as the factory did one by one (especially the #1 wire that snaked through the starter bracket plate). Factory spiral looms were reused, intact and not brittle, even the 2 (1 above plenum, 2nd behind the lower engine block) sparkplug wire plastic holders were fine . 3rd brake light bulbs are both on and verified by me and my friend depressing the brake. No SES light yet. Tonight I watched in the dark for arcing under my hood while the engine but none suspected from above so I drove, parked & chocked the car safely on ramps and peeked under from above but still no arcing evident. Finally I sit here and perform a full search under related topics and it mentions it could be my alternator but the gauge is steady above 12.5 volts however as I drive at night, my instrument panel lights seem to flicker faintly and trick my eyes as I watch the road at the same time. The car retains its stock Delco battery and I have never changed the alternator yet. CamaroZ28.com site had an idea about installing protective sheathing with each wire but locally here no one had them in a 40 mile area so I had no luck there. I have to disregard the ABS connectors as I havent touched them or drove through large puddles at all. I installed AC-Delco 41-101 Iridiums and noticed a lot more power but the pesky light comes & stays on after 10 min of highway cruising. This problem has been beaten to death again but I have to post, I'm stumped, what now?

[ July 13, 2005, 12:38 AM: Message edited by: 96RS Alex ]
    Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Im sorry, is it just me or does brakes have nothing to do with the plugs and wires

Last time i checked, ABS INOP stood for "Anti-Lock Braking System - Inoperable"....

Comment

Im under the assumption the ABS Inop light can be set off by a faulty alternator, that problem has been sworn to cause the light to set off along with checking the collision light aka 3rd brake light at my spoiler wing to see if its blown. Both of which are fine but I dont see the problem yet. I did a thorough check by performing a Search. This problem started right after the roadtest & I meticulously changed the 6 spark plugs without screwing up the firing order on the coils. Some payoff I get after a basic spark plug & wires change and this happens! 6 hr nap here and I'm out to tear out the alternator to find the culprit. I just want ideas thats all. Thanks again.
      Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X