Cannot find problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot find problem

I have a 2001 firebird with exhaust and whenever it is cold weather my car has a high pitched whine to it. I thought that since it was only "whinning" (somewhere in engine bay) when it was cold not warm it was my belts. Cold maybe made them "shrink" but know when its cold here in the Detroit area it does it even when the engine is warm, etc. It does this while Im in gear and eveything. Its pissing me off

Any info would be great.
    I got stuff...<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/mksucum\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/mksucum</a>

Just tell people it's your supercharger :D Thats what I did when my power steering pump went bad.
    <a href=\"http://pics.projectpredator.com/thumbnails.php?album=16\" target=\"_blank\">2003 Zinc Yellow Mustang GT</a> 1 of 701<br />ET : TBD<br />But our shenanigans are cheeky and fun! Yeah, and his shenanigans are cruel and tragic. Which... makes t

Comment

im not a poser, man come on. What kind of fagget says they have a 4000 part on their car when they don't.

Oh and by the way its now where near a SC.

Sorry not trying to rip but I need a logical answer
      thanx
      I got stuff...<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/mksucum\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/mksucum</a>

Comment

I dont think belts get shrinkage. That only happens to, ah nevermind.

IF you are sure the noise is coming from the belt just try replacing the belt. They are fairly cheap.

Comment

when you turn your steering wheel does it get louder? I had a similar problem where it would whine and I had a weak pwr steering pump.

Comment

First, check your belt/pulleys:
            * while the engine is running, inspect the belt and pulley movement and alignment.
            * While the belt is moving, spray a small amount of aerosol belt dressing or WD40 on the belt.
            * If the whine disappears, you have a worn belt or a dirty/worn pulley. Change the belt and clean all the pulleys using a mild degreaser and stiff nylon bristle brush.

Next, borrow a mechanic's stethoscope, and check each rotating component for the whine. Usually, you'll find that alternators whine, a/c compressors chatter, and power steering pumps growl ... but such is not always the case.

Good luck!
            You can achieve anything for which you are prepared to pay the price.<br /> --ATTILA THE HUN

Comment

I know it doesn't help much but my 2000 Firebird did the EXACT same thing, I blamed it on the cut airbox. My Camaro hasn't made a peep, and I never cut the airbox. I took it to the dealer several times and nobody could figure it out, we were guessing fuel pump or something?

I cleaned the belt using soap really well once and it seemed to help a lot.

[ December 04, 2002: Message edited by: Dominic ]</p>
              2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
              Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

fuel pump is all the way by the tank I find it hard to even hear that with my head under the car.

wierd... might check alternator, they do whine, kind of a frek thing though on a new car.

Comment

Take it to a dealer while it's still under warranty.
                  You can achieve anything for which you are prepared to pay the price.<br /> --ATTILA THE HUN

Comment

I worked on a 1997 & 2000 v6 firebird at the pontiac dealership i work for and it had a very noticable whine. It was definatly coming from the belt or accesories. Could not pinpoint it for the life of me. The vehicle had one of those aftermarket belts on it that had the little notches in it. Put a GM serp belt on it and the noise was gone. The aftermarket belt had nothing wrong with it. I guess that the after market serp belt pattern, makes funny noises traveling on the v6 pulleys. I have seen this on 2 v6 firebirds (both newer, 97 & 00) and both times the problem has been corrected by putting a GM belt on it. It is odd because I have never seen a problem like this with any other car...just the v6 firebirds. Not even other 3.8 series 2 engines like in the grand prix or bonneville. It must be something with the pulleys used in the firebird motors. So, if you have one of those aftermarket belts on your car, I suggest getting the GM one.

Comment

?
                      What do you mean by an aftermarket belt with those little notches in it? I have a GM belt and it has notches built into it. They are necessary for keeping the belt on the pulleys. Are the notches present on only one side of the belt or both?
                      Just wondering.
                      Jim

Comment

there will be normal v shaped notches in the belt, the aftermarket ones have notches going across the belt as well. You'd have to see one i guess. Look at the condition of your gm belt and if it looks shady, replace it.

Comment

Yeah those are gatorback belts. Mine was squeeling in 20,000 miles on the OEM GM belt, and you're right it did sound like it was coming from the pulleys. Replacing the belt, or what I did was clean the belt, solved my problem for a few thousand. Im sure replacing it will fix it for about 20K.
                          2002 5-spd NBM Camaro
                          Details: www.1lev6.com

Comment

I had a similar issue on my 96 Camaro. Turned out to be the AC Compressor. Something in the clutch caused it to whine..... that is until the Compressor siezed and I had to replace it. What the exact part in the compressor was I don't know, a seal or bearing possibly?? Or it might have been the clutch forcing the pulley to spin at a slightly odd angle, making the belt whine a little. At any rate I did the same thing you did, belt dressing, cleaning, replaced the belt, never went away. After the compressor siezed and I replaced it never had another peep. Didn't occur to me until the Compressor was laying in a shallow unmarked grave what the sound was. [img]smile.gif[/img]
                            -JinX

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X