X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Threw my first code

:cry:
    P1870 Internal Transmission Component Slipping
    This code is often set due to overheating inside the transmission. Extended periods of stop and go driving may also cause this code. Common symptoms associated with this code are harsh shifting from first to second gear and/or no overdrive or fourth gear. These symptoms are caused by an increase in transmission pressure in order to compensate for the internal slippage. Sometimes a complete transmission service including a fluid flush and refill can remedy this problem. In extreme cases, a transmission rebuild or replacement is required.
    i def felt it shifting hard a few times, happened after i was going like 105 for maybe like 6 seconds, idk, do you think just the flush may fix it, i flashed it and drove like 2 miles and it didnt come back on, but it also didnt come on until like 15 miles after i first noticed the hard shift, but the harshness went away after i shut it off and turned it back on, i felt it like maybe once after that. i am going back to the dealer sat anyways to get a key cut, should i have them look at it?

Daniel

Re: Threw my first gode

well, it sounds like the code came on because the tranny was hot.

I would drive it around and see if it trips the code again, and when you go to the dealers, just tell them what you were doing (i really dont think they care u were going 105 somewhere.. so you can tell them that) and tell them the code it said, and ask their opinons... although im about 75% sure they will say they need to look at it to get more money

Comment

anybody who has thrown this code will probably advise against that because some crap is happening and it needs a "valve body update" or something because something is worn out and it will easily cost me over $300

Comment

drivetrain search isnt working for me, but gentech is.

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...ighlight=P1870
        http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...highlight=1870
        http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...highlight=1870

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=51890
        Last edited by Loochy88; 04-06-2006, 08:50 PM.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
        Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Re: Threw my first code

"valve body update" take it to a tranny shop and they will or should already know all about it, and so does GM. They should have had a recall, but never did. I had a 99 with this same problem. It would get hot and start shifting like some one was running into the rearend.
          <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2245261</a> Green 1997, 105k, all stock except for Z28 front springs, Air shocks in the rear, home made coolant recovery tank, home made battery hold down.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyZ72
            "valve body update" take it to a tranny shop and they will or should already know all about it, and so does GM. They should have had a recall, but never did. I had a 99 with this same problem. It would get hot and start shifting like some one was running into the rearend.
            yeah, thats pretty much exactly what is happening to me, how much did it end up costing you. i called the dealer i bought it from and they said they would give me a discount on parts or labor, but they wont give a quote until they diagnose it, another dealer quoted me $250 for the valve body update. i am going to take it in to the dealer i bought it from tuesday and see what they have to say.

Comment

Did you ever get this fixed? if so how much did it run ya, i had this problem on the way home from a long trip when i was only goin around 60, got home and cleared the code, and it hasnt done it since.. im just waitin for it to start up again lol
              1999 Firebird W68<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995565\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/995565</a> <br />-Derek

Comment

yeah, even without the code its still there, it just doesnt get hot enough, i took it to a dealer, and all in all it cost me like $300, he said he put in a stiffer spring, it stiffens up all your shifts, etc, dont let them try to sell you an entirely new valve body, it is not at all nessicairy, it just makes it cost about 3 times more, just a valve body update is all you need, any shop should know what you are talking about, and you should do it or else you will end up frying something in your tranny from the heat

Comment

Hi everyone. I know this post is a couple months old, but hopefully someones watching...

I'm having this same issue on my 95 Camaro. The strange part (at least, I think its strange), is that the transmission shifts hard only occasionally. I've been able to "fix" it once by shutting down the engine and restarting it, of course that only worked for that trip. I've had the car to a Cottman transmission center; they flushed the trans. and refilled with good fluid, and I also added some conditioner to the transmission just for my own sanity. I don't have a code reader, so I can't verify this problem against the computer, but would it be safe to say that I also need this "valve body update"? Thanks.

Comment

there are so many parts to an auto trans its hard to target a specific thing without a code or at least diagnosing it in person. from the way you described it it sounds the same as the problem they were having. If the spring fixes it then have them give that a shot.

Edit: Good job searching too bad other noobs don't search like you did.
                    Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Thanks youngsc, I'm gonna keep looking around for information on this problem, and hopefully get it resolved before something worse occurs.

Also, would you happen to know how to retrieve codes from a 95 Camaro. I've been searching around these forums for that info. as well, and it seems like it was built during the transition to ODB-II, and was given either an ODB-II or ALDL style connector, even though the sticker under the hood states "ODB-I certified." I tried the paper-clip trick, hoping I would have the same luck with this car as I did with my previous GM. No such luck. Any insights?

Comment

Not on OBD-I. Some people have said you can take it to Autozone or something and have it checked but I'm not 100%. I hate to say take it to the dealer because that could end up costing you big. Maybe if you took it to a trans shop your comfortable with they would check it over and let you know.
                        Let's flip a coin. Heads I get tail, Tails I get head.

Comment

Sorry to revive such an old thread but my searching led me to this and another thread that was olders but neither realy answered the question I have. I obviously just got this code thrown today its hot here now and I had been driving for an hour in traffic. My question is this the dreaded valve's fault "98 Auto tran btw" or the heat I just got the engine rebuilt so the car was sitting for 6months months prior. Also no one has ever stated or said they had a transmission serviced and if that cleared up the problem. Also my tranny fluid looks good and I can feel no slippage or see evidence of it in the tach. I do get the occasional hard shift from 1st to 2nd. Thanks and again dont beat me up for bringing up an old thread lol its what I could find.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X