Weird sound from alternator when cold??? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weird sound from alternator when cold???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird sound from alternator when cold???

Well, I'm wondering if anyone else hears this. When my engine is cold(has not been run for a day or a week) and it's around 35 or below degrees out side. When I start my car, the alternator makes a strange noise for about 30 seconds and then it goes away and you can no longer here it. Not real loud but, loud enough to be heard over the cold engine and injector sounds. Is this a sign that my alternator is going bad, or is this normal? I've had my car through 2 winters and I don't think I ever heard it, but then again, I've never really listened for it. Please give me some info. Thanks
    2000 V6 Camaro(bought brand new)
    5 speed
    Project: Unreal
    Several Mods..:naughty:plus Nitrous=WEEeee:banana:

2007 Suzuki GS500F :D

Daily driver
    2007 Chevy Aveo 5
    Mods K&N air filter:excited:
    www.guardiansworlds.com

Could be a sign of it going out, then again the cold weather is hard on stuff. Just keep an eye on your volt gauge, if it dips real hard when you hit the lights or fluctuates when idling then you may need to replace it. The alternators are known for going bad rather quickly on the f-body.
    2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

Don't wanna scare you but.....You might want to start pricing a replacement. Mine did the same thing before it died. Didn't take too long either.

Comment

I think it's pretty normal for that to happen. Last winter mine did the same thing. Although it died about 6 months after that. It's probably a sign of an older alternator just trying to do it's job. My new one doesn't do it as much but if you really get under there and listen to it, you can hear a small trace of it. I wouldn't worry about it until you have to.

Comment

Just had this for a week on the sunfire, alternator pooched the other night :(

You might want to get it tested. Wont' cost much, likely free if it fails and you have to buy a new one.

Get a refurbished(or yours refurbished if you can).

My camaro's alt died this summer too. :(
          1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

Just had this for a week on the sunfire, alternator pooched the other night :(

You might want to get it tested. Wont' cost much, likely free if it fails and you have to buy a new one.

Get a refurbished(or yours refurbished if you can).

My camaro's alt died this summer too. :(
            1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

Hey, thanks for the replies. I was thinking that it may be going bad. I was hoping it wasn't though. Ohh well. So, should I get another stock one, or is there a better aftermarket brand that I should get. Thanks again for your help. [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img]
              5 speed

Daily driver
              2007 Chevy Aveo 5
              www.guardiansworlds.com

Comment

Anyone??
                5 speed

Daily driver
                2007 Chevy Aveo 5
                www.guardiansworlds.com

Comment

You guys are scaring me :( Sometimes When I shift into R the gauge dips and then recovers and sometimes when I have the AC on and the rear defroster with some other accesseries (headlights radio) it will dip when I turn another thing on :(
                  ~chris~ 98 Cayenne red Camaro 3800 A4, 3:08, T tops Borla cat-back, wisper lid K&N, Bilstine shocks, Dunlops all around. <br />AOL IM: chevyboyz24

Comment

Mine has been making a "whirrrrr" whistling whiny sound since I got it. 17500 miles ago. It aggrivated the crap out of me for the longest time. I noticed that the needle did drop, usualy while coasting or idling, and obviously the lights would dim and such, but the noise went away. So, I guess I would be ok in assuming that the alt was about to go. But as it's been doing this for 17500 miles. But ever since I removed the MAF screen and the Air Bellows and put a piece of strait intake hose from the filter to the MAF, the whole care sounds a bit more aggressive, and I really haven't been able to hear the whine. ;) Oh well. If anybody finds a good Alt replacement, let me know.
                    ~Chris<br />1999 Hugger Orange Camaro<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/273836</a> <br /><br />†…faith…hope

Comment

Guardian - Stock is fine for a normal application. Most aftermarket alts. are high amp alternators used for big stereo's or guys with lots of extra lights and such.

ChrisZ24 - Those are high draw items you are using, it is normal to see a dip when using stuff like that. As long as the alt. recovers right away you should be OK.
                      2000 GTP<br />Thrasher CAI, 3.4\" pulley, DHP PCM<br />Member RedLineVSix<br />Best ET-14.02<br />Best Trap-97.15

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X