hockeyman (coolant flush)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hockeyman (coolant flush)

i followed the guide and did everything but two things. I didnt remove the overflow, i just flushed it out til it was clear then blew most of the remaining water out with air, and i didnt remove the thermostat so i had to wait a little longer initially to heat up. It didnt say anything about taking out the block plugs.

My question is even though i followed all the steps and ended up with clear fluid instead of the orange, then drained everything and then ran the vehicle for 10 seconds to get the remaining fluid out (it stopped pouring out at this point), i was only able to put in about 6 quarts of fluid.

I bought the 50/50 mix and expected to need to add a little straight because i left some water in the over flow, but i still only put in half of what was needed. I'm wondering what i missed because i figured this step by step would get all the fluid out so i could refill with the pre mixed. Right now being that i got 6 in with mainly a 50/50 mix and a little straight prestone, i figure i have like a 30/70 prestones/tap water mix insteap of the 50/50 pre mixed i wanted (rather not have tap in it).

How could i have gotten the other half of the fluid out, could the overflow have that much water left in it even when it felt like i blew most out or do must people just know it will keep half full of water and then put in the other half with straight coolant?

(i'm just saying hockeymans step by step because it seemed to work fine for everybody and it is the one i used)
    97 RS<br />Member Status: F-Body Owner<br />Member Number: 7705<br />Registered: September 13, 2005<br />Posts: 24<br />Email Address: hfoxx123@yahoo.com<br />Location: Minnesota<br />Occupation: Database Administration<br />Homepage: <a href=\"http://none\" target=\"_blank\">http://none</a><br />Car: uh a camaro

I actually put the 50/50 prestone mix in, then flushed it again to insure a larger content of the green coolant mixture. I still had a bit of red mixed into the engine's coolant, but it was very little afterwards.
    It took a bit of patience to flush out the remaining water in the block, but I never took the engine plugs out.
    I took the thermostat out and reinstalled the hose during the time I was flushing the engine. I would start it for about 30 seconds to get the old fluid out of the block, then drain the radiator. I filled the rad with the green prestone mix, and then started it again to move it through the engine. I went through about 3 gallons of the prestone 50/50 before I was finally done.
    sigpic

Comment

so you did all the steps you listed/ then to refill you plugged and refilled, then turned on to circulate, then drained watered down fluid, then refilled, etc until you put in about 12 quarts.

I'll probably drain the radiator once more and put in half 50/50 and 1/2 straight prestone. I was just worried that i thought i emptied the fluid (because i had the engine on and nothing came out) of 11 quarts and only got 6 back in that i f***ed something up.

The color is neon green with no brown at all in mine (i originally flushed it 10 times) and hopefully will stay that way even with tap in it. Hopefully tap is just not good with the dex. Took me a total of 3 hours (including changing fuel filter) and heat up/ cool down times.

All in all your guide was a huge help. Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
      97 RS<br />Member Status: F-Body Owner<br />Member Number: 7705<br />Registered: September 13, 2005<br />Posts: 24<br />Email Address: hfoxx123@yahoo.com<br />Location: Minnesota<br />Occupation: Database Administration<br />Homepage: <a href=\"http://none\" target=\"_blank\">http://none</a><br />Car: uh a camaro

Comment

Taking the thermostat out and reconnecting the hose was a BIG help. As I mentioned, it allowed instant radiator flow as soon as the engine was started. I didn't count how many quarts I used, I just bought 4 gallons of the 50/50 green prestone and went to work. After I was done, I installed a new thermostat and gasket and then buttoned everything back up.

No more brown sludge buildup in my radiator anymore...YeeHaa!
        sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X