vacuum problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vacuum problem?

i got an SES light today, took it to autozone where the guy said that i have extra air getting into the intake manifold somewhere which is making me run lean. when i floor the pedal, my car takes a LONG TIME to rev up in first gear and will begin to misfire a little before 5000 rpms and wont shift... the code was P0446

how can i figure out where the air is getting into my engine? i checked all the vacuum hose connections, they all seem to be good... im afraid to drive my car because of this!
    2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Re: vacuum problem?

P0446 is a problem with the EVAP system (not an intake manifold leak or lean condition...those guys have no clue what they're talking about), which shouldn't cause the problems you describe. P0446 is usually caused by a bad EVAP canister, vent valve, pinched line, or Fuel Tank Pressure sensor.

You shouldn't notice any drivability problems from this DTC.
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

well then if thats not it, then whats the problem you think? its misfiring and it wont rev past 4700, and the exhaust note sounds different... not to mention the exhaust gas itself smells strange
      2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Comment

Start with fuel delivery....fuel filter.......Pump pressure.....Fuel pressure regulator......etc...

DZ
        Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Also possible plugged or restricting cataylitic converter
          Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

i was talking to a friend of mine today, my car threw an EVAP code, couldnt that mean that the EVAP solenoid is stuck open? this is just a guess based on the problems im having... the horrible acceleration, noises, strange exhaust smell... from what was explained to me, the solenoid reroutes unburned gases from the exhaust back into the intake manifold to be reburned for emissions purposes. if the solenoid is stuck open, then at higher RPMs (where the noticable difference is) an excess amount of exhaust fumes could be entering my intake manifold, causing a dramatic loss in power due to unburned gases making the air/fuel mixture less powerful. i dont know if this has any warrant, but maybe somebody could help me out here?
            2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Comment

That code basically says it's not stuck open, but stuck closed.
              Matt
              1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
              Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

i dont know what is wrong with my car... i changed my oil (10w30) after i heard ticking, and it didnt go away. this is starting to freak me out cause i dont know whats wrong with it. no one knows what this is, my local shop says that they cant guarantee a fix because "we cant rev your car that high to see if anything worked", not to mention my car isnt throwing any codes or giving me any indication of whats wrong. someone else said i may have a bad injector, but wouldnt that throw a code if one of my injectors wasnt working? im taking it into my auto class tomorrow to change my plugs and wires (which i need to do anyway), and testing the resistance on the injectors... after that i dont even know what i can do
                2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X