Service Bulletin: oil dipstick reads incorrect - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Service Bulletin: oil dipstick reads incorrect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Bulletin: oil dipstick reads incorrect

My oil dipstick on a 1998 v6 firebird allways shows a quart low, and is very hard to read. I change the ooil myself and allways put 4.5 quarts in.

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem?
    or knows anything about it thanks

I found some info on the net

Bulletin 00-06-04-018

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_mtrag.../article.jhtml

and 00-06-01-011 http://www.alldata.com/TSB/48/984802IB.html

[ December 06, 2002: Message edited by: Colt ]</p>
    98 Blue Firebird M5 <br />Spintech,Pro 5.0,K&N,Taylor 8mm,02\'TA Rims.

yes i do .. i had my oil changed at a mom and pops out fit one day ,and the guy was wanting to put more oil in there because of the dipstick problem,he said i can't let you leave outta here like that .... anyway checked it a couple more times it was okay .. he said "i been doing this all my life and i have never seen anything like that".....put a man on the moon 33 years ago but we can't fix this dipstick problem [img]smile.gif[/img] Subject: On some engines, the dipstick may be dry even though there is oil in the engine. The dipstick probably is contacting the windage tray in the oil pan, which deflects the dipstick away from the oil in the pan. A new dipstick, P/N 12564961, and tube, P/N 24505407, are available to correct the problem.

[ December 06, 2002: Message edited by: MEAN 98 ]</p>

Comment

I am a Technician for a pontiac dealership, and This is the GM bulletin for your car...This is the EXACT same bulletin that the dealerships use.

Document ID # 719039
      1998 Pontiac Firebird

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No Oil Indicated On Dipstick (Replace Dipstick Tube and Dipstick) #00-06-01-011 - (05/01/2000)
      No Oil Indicated On Dipstick (Replace Dipstick Tube And Dipstick)
      1996-99 Chevrolet Camaro

1996-99 Pontiac Firebird

with 3.8 L V6 engine (VIN K -- RPO L36)

Condition
      Some customers may comment on a no oil reading when checking the oil with the dipstick, even though the engine has oil in it.

Cause
      In certain cases, the dipstick may come in contact with the windage tray and deflect away from the oil in the crankcase. This may cause a no oil reading on the dipstick.

Correction
      Replace the dipstick and dipstick tube with new parts listed below. See figure for identification of prior dipstick tube and new dipstick tube.

Parts Information
      Part Number
      Description

Dipstick Tube - Replaces 24505124

Indicator (Dipstick)

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
      For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
      Description
      Labor Time

J0930
      Tube, Oil level indicator - replace
      Use published labor operation time

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information. WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Document ID # 719039
      1998 Pontiac Firebird

Comment

I have this problem, and the dealership put in a new dip stick, but it still reads incorectly, could I get them to do it again for free, or is it just a waste of time?
        Turbocharged and intercooled.<br />17psi(oops), stock fuel pump, no FMU<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/phoenix64\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/phoenix64</a> <br />Video: <a href=\"ftp://ftp.pfabrication.com\" target=\"_blank\">ftp://ftp.pfabrication.com</a> Assorted car ****: TurboCamaroFull.

Comment

The bulletin calls for a new dipstick, and dipstick tube. I'd take it back and tell them that it is still messed up. Don't tell them that you got a bulletin form here though...I don't wanna get in trouble for giving you guys these type of bulletins :D

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X