*THUNK* When going over bumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *THUNK* When going over bumps

Basically the issue is what the subject implies. When I go over an sort of bump (it doenst even have to be a big dump just perhaps a slight dip) at over 25 mph I get a thunk coming from the back of my car. I'm not sure what it is. It sounds kind of hollow like when you take a cookie tin and push on it so it pops by bending in and out. Thats KIND OF what the sound is like. Sorry I cant think of anything better.

I'm thinking my exhaust might not be fastened tightly enough and that its banging against the ground or more likely the undercarriage. Any other suggestions?

I guess the exhaust could be a possibility but I mean the exhaust is supposed to be floating anyway so it would have to be pretty loose which I'm sure you could determine by just moving it your self. Does it seem to come from one side only? I mean it's not a bad shock or sway bar linkage is it?
    Newfoundlands Camaro & Firebird Enthusiast Site<br /><a href=\"http://www.nf-fbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.nf-fbody.com</a>

Comment

this really seems to be a common problem with our cars. Mine didn't show up till after I did a spring/shock/swaybar swap. In the end the only way to find the cluck is to get the back of the car up on a ramp crawl underneath and let a friend start bouncing the rear end till you hear noise then locate it. I was by myself so I wound up just taking a tub of bearing grease and greasing just about everything that moved or flexed in the rear end, sway bars, control arms, shocks, and even the upper and lower spring seats. I still get some noise but its not nearly as bad. I am thinking that it's something getting in a bind and then popping in or out of something. With you being up north I'm betting on a spring seat/bucket.
      -Brad
      98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
      2000 V-Star Custom 1100
      If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
      :rock:

Comment

I had a lower control arm that was loose, making the same noise. It was loose in the front mount. Would not look loose with the car in the air. It's an 18mm bolt. Check that. Mine rattled with a rubber hammer hitting it. Easy fix, but made alot of noise. I thought the rear end was falling out. It is a metal bar, one on each side of the rear axle, and they are mounted on the axle and forward of it. The bolt is in front of the rear tires underneath-
        Jessica :)<br />Kansas: There\'s no place like home...99 Firebird Blown/6lbs, Eaton w/3.42\'s CI headers Z28 Exaust<br />CAI, #36 injectors Intense PCM

Comment

its probally your rear sway bar or something back there. do just like black98v6 said. i just changed a rear strut in my siters tiberon that made a cluck noise over every bump, even little cracks in the road.
          1998 bright red camaro ,M5 ,Y87 ,stock<br /><br />Originally posted by Rune:<br />If it smells like a turd and looks like a turd, chances are its probably not a candy bar.

Comment

my car does the same thing, i found out when i hit reverse and punch it it will make the same clunking noise, i thought it was my torque are where it is mounted, but i am not too sure.
            96 Camaro 3.8 A4 Basemodel: 8 mm wires, Shift Kit, Hollowed <br />Cat(o2 sims), RKSport exhaust, IAT 5.6K resistor, Home Depot CAI<br />&gt;&gt;&gt;15.375 @ 89.27&lt;&lt;&lt;NEW BEST TIME <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/552491</a>

Comment

What exaust do u have? When i installed my flowmaster american thunder i had to beat my right fender well with a mallet to creat some clearance for my right tail pipe. My guess it everyone who has this exaust has to do this or they will get some banging and bumping on that right tail pipe.

Comment

Oh and Die Ford V8 never never never NEVER EVER punch it in reverse!!!! You will wheel hop like a ***** and tear up your tranny. When it comes to wheelhopping in reverse your tranny might as well be made out of plastic! It only takes 2 or 3 bad reverse wheel hops to fuk your tranny!!! If you have a manual that is.Im not too sure about the auto but if the torque converter has a high enough stall it will probibly hop just as bad .

Comment

maybe you have a cookie can in your back?
                  It\'s a beautiful life<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2035163\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2035163</a>

Comment

Oh jeeze it sounds like it could be anything. I do actually have an american thunder exhaust so I'll get under there and see what kind of clearence I have. I'll roll up onto a ramp this week and check if anything looks a'miss with my suspension. Thanks alot everybody! I'm glad to know this is a common problem. If I can't find it I'll just take it to a shop, but that's a last resort.

Any other ideas?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X