loss of power in higher rev's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• loss of power in higher rev's

i posted this earlier, thinking it was an EVAP problem, but thats not whats causing my troubles. my car runs normal when i push the pedal lightly (rev's up to 3000 rpm's fine) but when i merge or accelerate more heavily, there is a VERY noticable loss of power, and near the top of my rev range, im getting a clicking noise and stop accelerating from that point. well now a set of spark plugs, wires, coil packs, and fuel filter later, the problem still exists. ANY help or ideas are greatly appreciated, cause i have no idea what could be wrong. thanks in advance!
    2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Re: loss of power in higher rev's

My suggestion would be to go down to a gm dealer and have them diagnose the problem before you throw any more money at it.

They should be able to pinpoint the problem within an hour and it could save you money in the long run. I was having similar, yet more severe symptoms that what you are describing and I cahnged the whole electrical side of the ignition with no success.

I eventually ran out of idas and took it to a dealership and an hour later found out I needed a new catalytic converter.
    Representin' Team Red In The North

Red '96 Pontiac Firebird "Smokeshow" 3800, M5, Far From Stock!!

Black/Red '89 Jeep Cherokee "Tigerclaw" Chev 327, Turbo 400... Stock What??

Black/Red '02 Honda CBR 954RR Fireblade

Comment

sounds like a cat converter is clogged
      2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

how does a cat get clogged that fast though? i left for KY and everything was fine, and a day after i got back the power just dropped off. wouldnt a clog be a slow, building problem?
        2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Comment

This is a driveability issue... and since you have a '00, take it to a dealer or shop to be scanned. The OBD-II has over 200 sensors to help control the car. It could be anywhere. Most would think it's the cat... and I would agree if this was an OBD-I car... but it's not. Sensors (map,TPS,CPS,etc) all play a VERY big part in what the motor does as you push the throttle.

Steve
          FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Administrator
          Stupid is rewarded with the ban button.
          Official Avatar Nazi according to Meatyshells :D

Comment

my car isnt throwing any codes though... if the sensors detect something is wrong, shouldnt i get an SES light?
            2000 Camaro 3800 A4

Comment

Coudl be the cat... thats my first guess... Are you throwing any codes? I say take it to autozone get it scanned. If you have a '00 it will tell you that the CAT is clogged.

If its not that and the ignition is all good I would be leaning towards a fuel issue. Pump/injectors
              -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Originally posted by 00 Silver 6
                how does a cat get clogged that fast though? i left for KY and everything was fine, and a day after i got back the power just dropped off. wouldnt a clog be a slow, building problem?
                Mine was fine, I made a 1000km road trip just days earlier and minutes earlier was pulling 5.5krpm no problems, and then I went to race a celica and I had no power all of a sudden. The problem just got worse from there and it was throwing absolutely no codes.

I pulled the exhaust off and cut out the cat and it was seriously messed up inside.

Like I said before, take it to the dealership to be diagnosed before you throw any more money at it, and whatever you do, dont get the car fixed there.
                Representin' Team Red In The North

Red '96 Pontiac Firebird "Smokeshow" 3800, M5, Far From Stock!!

Black/Red '89 Jeep Cherokee "Tigerclaw" Chev 327, Turbo 400... Stock What??

Black/Red '02 Honda CBR 954RR Fireblade

Comment

Look under the car at the cat after you've driven for a bit. Is it red hot? If so, it's definitely the cat.
                  1998 M5 3.8 Mystic Teal Camaro<br />Flowmaster exhaust, Pacesetter headers, 3\" cat, 3\" S-pipe, whisper lid, ram air, Spec Stage 1 clutch, Poly Trans mount, Walbro 255LPH. Numerous appearance mods.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X