misfire in cyl. 6... please advise!! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

misfire in cyl. 6... please advise!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• misfire in cyl. 6... please advise!!

ok guys, heres the deal, just got nex wake-up kit frr tranny (servo's, springs, trans cooler), at the same time also had some autolite plugs put in, 1 heat range cooler than stock, this was on saturday... tuesday, went to get an oil change, when i left, noticed a hesitation in the accel, and burbling noise in exhaust (not like the normal burble that occurs from the borla kit), it was only at low rpm's, then a few miles later it got worse, car would barely accelerate, ses light also came on at this point, so went to autozone for a scan, came up misfire in cyl. 6, i was surprised but figured it just might be cheap autolite plugs, but i just recieved ngk tr6's in mail from TR, so i went to the dealer and put them in, hoping to solve problem. car still flashed same code, although at this point not nearly as bad a miss as prior, plus all old plugs looked fine, so i called my mechanic, im taking it to him on fri. night, do some compression tests, check to see if wires melted on exhaust (although im sure dealership would have spotted that), maybe a bad coil pack? hopefully not anything worse, so has anyone have any heads up info, or had this problem? any advice would be great. oh, and i didnt use any nos in the past 2 weeks so factor that in. thanks!
    later,<br />alan<br />1999 bright red v6<br />3800 series III<br />208\\210 comp cam<br />3000 stall edge tc

ok after searching im guessing coil pack, maybe wires, i popped off the #6 wire at the pack, "looked" fine there, i also read to run the car at night, pop the hood and look for arcing? that will tell you if its a pack or not, is this correct?
    later,<br />alan<br />1999 bright red v6<br />3800 series III<br />208\\210 comp cam<br />3000 stall edge tc

Comment

no.. arching will tell you that a wire is bad.. crank the car in a low light situation. then follow the #6 wire and see if it archs anywhere if it does then you have a bad wire.. if it doesn't then the chances of it being a bad coil go up.... if you don't see any arching I'd change the coil as a good coil and a good set of plug wires cost about the same.. if swapping the coil for #6 doesn't make it immediately go away then you likely have other problems..
      ie bad wires or worse..

well I guess I should add that yes it is possible for a coil to arch and if it does then your coil is screwed.. but the likelyhood of that is relativley low..

[ September 19, 2002: Message edited by: black98V6 ]</p>
      -Brad
      98 Firebird - gone from mod mode to keep it running and useable mode.
      2000 V-Star Custom 1100
      If all else fails use a bigger hammer!
      :rock:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X