Propane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane

What would happen if I put propane in the intake?
    I saw these dudes putting propane in a intake of a truck on HP-TV. Does this only work on diesel engine?
    Propane would be alot cheaper than Nitrous to refill and stuff.
    1997 Camaro Y87. Turbo.<br /><a href=\"http://pureoctaneracing.net/\" target=\"_blank\">Pure Octane Racing</a>

propane and gasoline wouldn't work, it would just run rich. however, mix propane with deisel and it is just like n2o. has a lot to do with the high compression ratio of the deisel engine and the high temperature that propane burns at. i also don't recommend putting propane into a gasoline engine at all unless it has forged internals. because of the high temperatures of the burning propane it causes the parts to wear out a lot faster.

wonder how i know this? i convert cars to run on propane for a living. :D
    you can\'t get off if you don\'t get on

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dstrbd1:
      wonder how i know this? i convert cars to run on propane for a living. :D <hr></blockquote>

cool...if you dont mine, what exactly is involved in the process...like is there a big chaneg in the engine?

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
      05' CTS-V
      00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

what about the viper guys that are running propane nitrous injection??
        just curious...
        <a href=\"http://cardomain.com/id/fantomfreke\" target=\"_blank\">http://cardomain.com/id/fantomfreke</a> <br />** Bad American **<br /><br />*2000 F150 4x4 off road*<br /><a href=\"http://cardomain.com/id/fantomfrekesford\" target=\"_blank\">http://cardomain.com/id/fantomfrekesford</a>

Comment

I'm stickin to propane just for cooking steaks and buring beer cans. :D
          <b> \'95 Camaro 3.4L A4 <i>Rikku</i><br />AutoX - Drift - Street </b><br />\"Sideways is faster.\"

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by nikon:

cool...if you dont mine, what exactly is involved in the process...like is there a big chaneg in the engine?
            <hr></blockquote>

you've gotta add a computer that will handle all the engine functions while it runs on propane and another one to trick the stock computer into thinking the injectors are firing when they aren't. then there's all the hoses and tank for the propane, a regulator to um... regulate the propane flow, and a mixer that acts as a carb. all the real modifications are in the intake path where you add in the mixer.

as far as vipers on propane nitrous injection, i've never heard of it. are they mixing propane and nitrous? the only way i can think of for them to be running propane with gas with any success is with a **** load of fine tuning on the air/fuel ratio. otherwise they are running extremely rich and shooting themselves in the foot.
            you can\'t get off if you don\'t get on

Comment

i've heard of this before. It was discussed on here too! If you do a search, there should be a post where 12sec posted a site with lots of info and a site where they sold the kits for the propane vipers.
              I couldn't find it, but i'll keeep looking.

Comment

Here in cali we hav PG&E (pacific gas and electric). A lot if not all of their trucks are convertedt to run on propane. Distrbd1, is there a power loss or gain with converting to propane? The only plus I know about is the cheap cost of propane.
                White 98 Camaro with t-tops leather and Y87. For more info on mods just ask.<br />1/4=14.9<br />2002 Xterra V6 A4

Comment

Here's that Viper link:
                  http://www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=3&t=000905

-Justin
                  2001 Camaro Z28 (A4) Sunset Orange Metallic w/ T-tops, Monsoon Stereo, factory GFX, BMR STB from the v6, 18K miles<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/jhkcam22\" target=\"_blank\">2001 Camaro Z28</a><br /><br />Dads car: 2002 35th aniv. Bright red Z28, fully loaded<br /><br />R.I.P.<br />1995 3.4L Camaro (A4) Bright Red<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/jhkcam\" target=\"_blank\">1995 3.4 Camaro</a>

Comment

i know this is totally irrelevant, but i saw on monster garage that jesse james rigged up propane to make flames come out of the exhaust, i thought it was pretty bad *** , thinking of doing it to my car for the track, after the turbo is done. anyone know what is involved in this? i'd guess there'd have to be an ignitor, but that seems like the hardest part. just an idea, maybe not original, but i haven't seen it at MY track, so... :cool:
                    1998 Camaro 3.8 M5

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by dstrbd1:
                      propane and gasoline wouldn't work, it would just run rich. however, mix propane with deisel and it is just like n2o. <hr></blockquote>

Ah, I thought it was just for diesel because I only saw people doing them to big trucks. Seems easier and cheaper than nitrous though.
                      1997 Camaro Y87. Turbo.<br /><a href=\"http://pureoctaneracing.net/\" target=\"_blank\">Pure Octane Racing</a>

Comment

my friend ownes dynamic racing they do dodge steaths and he has "made" a propane injection kit that goes with this turbo kit and its been back order for months so it works but i havent heard of **** for our cars i could ask him to think up something but you would have to be willing to pay for it or he wont spend the time...
                        1997 3.8 Red Firebird<br />RKSport 2\" racing springs,TA Rims,<br />Dual Out Magna Flow Exaust/2.5\" Exauhst cut-out (loud),<br />2-10\" JL W-3\'s, 300/2 JL AMP<br />1 Farad Rockford Fosgate Capasitor,<br />B&M Shift Improvment Mod,<br />SLP Cold Air Intake, MSD 8.5mm Wires, Bosh Plats, 160 deg thermo<br /> in the mail:<br />Zexel Torsen Posi Unit, 3.23 (for now)& new transmission.

Comment

The reason that this propane thing works for diesels is due to the fact that the fuel doesn't "explode" during combustion. The air is super heated by compression, and then fuel is injected into it...that is the greatest, most misunderstood principle that makes the diesel cycle much more efficient than the gas/ottoman cycle. As far as the propane, it has an octane rating of 130. This could mean that what they are doing is injecting extra fuel into the air stream, compressing it in the chambers, and then when the diesel is injected, it sets off both the diesel and the propane simultaniously. This would be a great idea for diesels because it would be like adding nitrous. The more air you add (more boost) the cooler a diesel engine runs. The more fuel you add, the more power and hotter then engine runs. DIESEL POWER IS INDEPENDENT OF BOOST!!! Therefore injected propane releases the beast in a Diesel engine. It you combined propane with nitrous you would essentially be doing the same thing. The nitrous would add the oxygen, and the propane the extra fuel that normally your computer has to make up for, plus that 130 octane. Hope this helps.
                          1995 Firebird 3.8 A4, 140,000 miles and going strong<br />Basically Stock, college=poor <p>Junior Mechanical Engineering Student: Milwaukee School of Engineering; Cpl, MN Army National Guard...just got promoted :)

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by RED RUM:
                            i know this is totally irrelevant, but i saw on monster garage that jesse james rigged up propane to make flames come out of the exhaust, i thought it was pretty bad *** , thinking of doing it to my car for the track, after the turbo is done. anyone know what is involved in this? i'd guess there'd have to be an ignitor, but that seems like the hardest part. just an idea, maybe not original, but i haven't seen it at MY track, so... :cool: <hr></blockquote>

ya its illegal at most tracks...very dangerous especially with propane.....if you take your cat off you might be able to get a little fart off just from the engine.....the ignitor is just a spark plug wired on a switch to the battery, it grounds itself out on the pipes....and should ignite any exhaust gases still in your pipes after combustion.....this is cool but kinda went out with the 50's....those engines could be leaned and "richened"...the air/fuel mixture that is....add more fuel, more fuel is in the exhaust pipes to light up....for fuel injected cars you cant do this...hence the reason they used propane....once again dangerous ;)

"Money can't buy me happiness, but I'm happiest when I can buy what I want"
                            05' CTS-V
                            00' Camaro - SOLD :(

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                              Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                              by ssms5411
                              Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                              1 week ago
                            • RPDRed6
                              For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                              by RPDRed6
                              Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                              3 weeks ago
                            • ssms5411
                              No start problem
                              by ssms5411
                              So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                              4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X