Oil in coolant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil in coolant?

I changed my oil yesterday so I decided to check the coolant level with the stick. There was what looked like brown sludge all over the coolant checker and when I opened the radiator cap, there was sludge all in there too. My dad seems to think its a blown head gasket but my engine hasn't over heated or anything lately, always stays around 210. Also, the coolent in the radiator was like a flourescent orangish color, is it supposed to be like that? Could all of this happened from me driving the car before it was heated up good? All through the winter, I would just crank it up and leave in the mornings but it hardly ever goes below freezing around here. If anyone has had a similar problem and knows how this should be repaired, let me know. Thanks
    2000 Camaro, Pewter Metallic, M5 tranny, 3.23 gears, Hard Top, <br /><br />Modifications:<br />SLP loudmouth (dual/dual tips)<br />MSD 8.5mm wires<br />K&N airfilter<br />SS hood (don\'t buy from fiberglassfabricators.com!!!)<br />Spec stage 2 clutch

Originally posted by Kevin T.:
    always stays around 210.
    The car always stays at 210°? It should only get that hot when you leave it sitting with the fans off. During normal operation it should be around 180°.

A little sludge in the coolant is normal with Dexcool, just depends on how much.
    Matt
    1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
    Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

what did the oil look like was it kinda like dirty mayo? I agree with 98Camaro3.8 that the DexCool is nasty after a while and that is probably what you are seeing. I would also check into the reason you are running so hot. hope that this helps.
      Remember that sometimes, silence is the best answer.<br />Warren White<br />1996 PoloGreen Coup <a href=\"http://vampyr.settanni.net/\" target=\"_blank\">http://vampyr.settanni.net/</a> <br />\"Jealousy\"<br /> CTFBA member of the month Sept 03

Comment

I thought the stock thermostat was set for 210, so its always never bothered me to see it there. Hmmm, maybe if I flush the radiator and put a 180 degree thermo in, ill break into 15's.
        2000 Camaro, Pewter Metallic, M5 tranny, 3.23 gears, Hard Top, <br /><br />Modifications:<br />SLP loudmouth (dual/dual tips)<br />MSD 8.5mm wires<br />K&N airfilter<br />SS hood (don\'t buy from fiberglassfabricators.com!!!)<br />Spec stage 2 clutch

Comment

[ April 10, 2005, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Kevin T. ]

Comment

Originally posted by 98Camaro3.8:
            The car always stays at 210°? It should only get that hot when you leave it sitting with the fans off. During normal operation it should be around 180°.

A little sludge in the coolant is normal with Dexcool, just depends on how much.
            Mine is always around 210 with normal driving
            2002 Firebird<br />Lid, Rumbler, GT2

Comment

Stock therm. is 195, but our cars will run around 210 constantly. If your car isnt overheating, then you have nothing to worry about at the moment but I would get it checked into. I mean antifreeze will obviously get dirty if not changed every so often..

Get your radiator flushed, and then do another oil change.. then check the dipsticks.

and pray its not a blown head gasket *crosses fingers*

also, I started up my car one morning and didnt let it warm up.. and just zoomed off.. freakin blew a intake manifold gasket! anyways, I've it 100000 other times when i didnt have time to let it warm up, but if you dont have time to wait.. then just be easy on it.. shouldnt hurt it at all.
              brink<br />1998 White Camaro 3.8L V6:<br />Flowmaster Exhaust<br />No cat (straight pipe)<br />Free Ram-Air<br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/98camaro98\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/id/98camaro98</a>

Comment

It's Dexcool.

The new (not anymore) standard for stock GM vehicles.

Nasty stuff.

Supposedly keeps you alot better off in severe cold and overheating situations because of its much wider temperature range... But...

It is NOT supposed to come into contact with air, when it does it tends to "gel" up, causing alot of problems down the line such as clogged radiators, water jackets, impeding thermostat function, etc.

You should refrain from opening your cooling system until you suspect something is wrong with it. The fact that it is already gelled up a bit indicates you may have a slight leak in your cooling system, or it's been getting opened alot more than it should. (by slight I mean VERY slight, it probably took a long time to build up what you have in there if you have no visible coolant loss, but something such as a radiator cap not working under correct pressure is enough to cause this)

This stuff is great for "just put gas in and go" people who take thier car to the shop for everything, but problematic to the mechanically inclined.

My advice.

Get rid of the red stuff.

Flush your cooling system (read up, do it right, and do it well) and replace it with regular antifreeze or just good old water with some water wetter or a product of similar nature. Royal Purple makes a good one too.

If it gets really cold where you live, stick with antifreeze though.

Comment

and 210 is normal for a Camaro or Firebird.

Stock thermo is 195 and the fan switch is at 230.

If you're running at 180 on a stock motor I would change my oil a bit more and run synthetic since cold running temps tend to sludge your motor up quite a bit inside.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                    by ssms5411
                    Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                    1 week ago
                  • RPDRed6
                    For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                    by RPDRed6
                    Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                    3 weeks ago
                  • ssms5411
                    No start problem
                    by ssms5411
                    So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                    4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X