Clunking noise from rear when stopping - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clunking noise from rear when stopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clunking noise from rear when stopping

It only does it once. Right as I accelerate and right as I come to a stop. Its almost like there are two parts that are supposed to spin together that have a little play in them and one part has to catch up to the other if that makes sense.

It doesn't seem to vibrate at speed any more than what I thought was normal. I recently, like two weeks ago, had the transmission replaced so my main concern is that whatever this is it might damage the brand new transmission.

I haven't done a burnout in it so I'm not sure if it would do a two wheel burnout or not. Maybe later I'll take it out and see.

Comment

When's the last time you had your differential fluid change? You might want to unbolt the cover and see if there's anything broken. The cover should have a magnet on it so if anything has broken there should be piece's attached. You could also check to see if the gears are worn.
      <a href=\"http://www.fbodyelpaso.org\" target=\"_blank\">www.fbodyelpaso.org</a> A4 stock 3.42 and LSD not Y87,SLP cold air induction, whisper lid, k&n filter, flowmaster 80 series, hypertech, 160 powerstat thermostat, t/a front bumper, functional nostrils, pacesetter headers best et: 15.9 at about 4800ft

Comment

The transmission was recently replaced and while they did that they replaced a seal on the rearend and were supposed to have changed the fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by stevem
          The transmission was recently replaced and while they did that they replaced a seal on the rearend and were supposed to have changed the fluid.

its either the U joint or the thing that goes aroung the axel holding it in place, cant remember what its called, but i had the EXACT same problem.... ended up being that thing that holds the axel...... hopefully someone i this board knows what its called, i cant remember sorry....

Comment

Would either problem be likely to cause damage to any other parts like my new transmission?

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer
              its either the U joint or the thing that goes aroung the axel holding it in place, cant remember what its called, but i had the EXACT same problem.
              Are you talking about the panhard rod?

I also have this problem...usually happens when I am accelerating at slow speeds (<25 MPH) and then hit the brakes.
              --<b>David</b>--<br /><a href=\"http://bryant2.bryant.edu/~dsantore/index.htm\" target=\"_blank\">The <b>NEW</b> V6Bird Website!</a> <br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/thev6bird\" target=\"_blank\">Cardomain site</a><br />ΔX

Comment

Well I dropped the car off with my mechanic this morning and asked them to check it out. I told them to find out what the noise is and give the whole drivetrain a good inspection. I'll let everyone know what its is if they find it just incase it may help someone else with similar noises.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X