Hooking up timing for MAFT+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooking up timing for MAFT+

Anyone who has hooked up a MAFT+ , can you fill me in on how you hook up the timing wires? I know its been discussed before, but i couldnt find it.

96 V6 A4 Camaro and 99 Z28 A4 Camaro
    Visit My F-Body Page

Re: Hooking up timing for MAFT+

What you need to know is what wire in the connector for the PCM do you need to splice into to hook up the timing part of the Maft+.. I wish I remember which wire it was.. Hopefully someone on here can tell you.. When I get home from work I will see if the instuction book tells me..
    Jeff ..
    1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
    2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
    1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
    http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

ok, thanks :burn:

Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

It's the white wire coming from the PCM. I am fairly certain there is only 1 pure white wire and it is the ignition control wire.

Comment

ok, well im getting one from 1998silverbird. i havnt actually seen the wires for the timing on the maft+ yet, so i dont really understand how they hook up. am i going to need to cut this ignition wire, or simply unplug it, and hook some connectors? i guess ill understand when i see the photos or when i finally get the maft+

Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Do you know were your pcm is located under the hood?? Its behind the strut tower on the passenger side of the car.. There should be 2 long connectors going to it.. there is a 5.5 mm bolt ( think thats the size) that holds the connectors on the PCM.. One of those connectors has a pure white wire that runs to it.. Which you want to do when you splice into this wire is unplug the battery.. grab that wire with your fingers and cut the wire in 2..make sure there is a couple of inches from the connector to where you cut and make sure you have enough room to strip both sides of the wire.. Now off the connector of the Maft+ there are 2 different color wires.. strip the end of the them and in the instruction book that will come with your maft+ it tells you to hook up this color wire to the pcm side of the white wire and this color wire to the other side of the white wire.. I soldered the wires and heat shunk them but thats what I do in the military.. You could just crimp them with but connectors.. After this is done you hook back up your battery and start your car!! Then you will be able to tune the Timing.. I hope this helped!!

Note that this is how it was installed on my 98.. Your 96 might be a little different..
            Last edited by 1998silverbird; 05-09-2006, 04:51 PM.
            Jeff ..

Comment

Actually if you check out the technical database on this website there is a pin out of the connectors on it.. It will tell you what wire it is, what pin on the connector it is, and what color the wire is..
              Jeff ..

Comment

thanks a lot, that helps a bunch!

Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

One more thing. I dont really understand exactly how these pinouts work. Im looking here: http://engine.firebirdv6.com/38pin.html#PCMClear

I assume that i need to be looking at the pcm blue bank (towards front of car) section for 95-97. I see two white wires. One for ignition and one for cruise. I see that the only other identifying factor is the pin number. How will i be able to physically distinguish these two wires when looking under the hood? I guess im saying i dont really understand what the pin number is.

It confirms what you were saying about your 98, where there is only one white wire, but for mine there's two. :)

Any help is appreciated.

Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Originally posted by Loochy88
                    One more thing. I dont really understand exactly how these pinouts work. Im looking here: http://engine.firebirdv6.com/38pin.html#PCMClear

I assume that i need to be looking at the pcm blue bank (towards front of car) section for 95-97. I see two white wires. One for ignition and one for cruise. I see that the only other identifying factor is the pin number. How will i be able to physically distinguish these two wires when looking under the hood? I guess im saying i dont really understand what the pin number is.

It confirms what you were saying about your 98, where there is only one white wire, but for mine there's two. :)

Any help is appreciated.

The way you will be able to id it is to unbolt that connector from the PCM and Flip it up so you can see underneath the connector ( the part that actually connects to the pins on the PCM).. Each pin should be labled on the connector on the bottom side..
                    Jeff ..

Comment

Visit My F-Body Page

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS