Coolant flush questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant flush questions

whats the best mixture for water to coolant for houston weather.. im thinking 50 / 50 would be good. would watter wetter be beneficial?

and how is the best way to flush ALL the old coolant out of the engine, radiator, and all hoses. i want as much of the old out before i put the new in.

and manual says to use dexcool. so i guess thats what i will be mixing with distilled water

thanks
    [img]graemlins/popcorn.gif[/img]

Originally posted by LordoftheBling:
    and manual says to use dexcool. so i guess thats what i will be mixing with distilled water
    Yes, use 50%distilled water with 50% dexcool. I even added "Water Wetter" to my coolant. You can find it at your local auto store near the fuel injector cleaners, and it runs about $6. It's supposed to lower the coolant temp by 10-15 degrees when added.
    I'll be flushing my coolant out this spring, and I unscrew the radiator plug on the lower left side (below the lower rad. hose), and I also remove and replace the thermostat. When the thermostat is removed, it relieves the coolant pressure inside the engine, and make most of it flow to the rad. and out the drain plug.

****Make sure when you are done and the radiator is filled with new coolant, start the engine and slowly unscrew the bolt threaded on the thermostat housing to release the air in the system. Do it slowly, and you'll hear the air escaping out. Do not take the bolt out, just unscrew it a bit. When coolant starts coming out, you're done.

-Marc
    sigpic

Comment

I don't know about Houston, but I used about 40% coolant, a bottle of water wetter, and the rest distilled water, and it seems to run a little cooler than it used to.
      2000 3.8L Firebird, Silver Metallic<br /><br />\"Yes, London. You know, fish, chips, cup o\' tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary f***in\' Poppins, London!!\"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
        Good to see the site is back up
        by 2.8 Bird
        So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
        6 hours ago
      • FirebirdGT
        New Site Hosting Issues
        by FirebirdGT
        All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
        1 week ago
      • LETZRIDE
        New Owner!
        by LETZRIDE
        I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
        4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
      Working...
      X