Quick question about misfire on cyl.5 - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick question about misfire on cyl.5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question about misfire on cyl.5

So i noticed my car was choking a bit a few weeks ago, Check Engine light came on so i took it to Autozone to get it checked. Computer said cylinder 5 was misfiring, so they suggested replacing the plugs and wires.

like an idiot, i took them for their word, took it to a mechanic, and $315 dollars later I still have the same misfire.

I took the coil pack for cyl. 5 off and got it tested today, Autozone said it was fine, and gave me a list of other things it could possibly be. I'm pretty sure it's the fuel injectors, but my question is when replacing the injectors, can i just replace the one for cylinder 5 or do I have to replace them all?

I've gotten different responses from different shops/stores, and I just dont want to have to pay $700 for a shop to replace all of the injectors if i can only replace one for cheaper.

- Side Note: i took it to jiffy lube in November 05 to get the fuel system flushed, and the choking/misfire problem started in december/janurary 06. I thought it was only due to cold weather because it choked only on start up, but now it does it all the time. Can I blame Jiffy Lube? please? Would injector cleaner really help me at this point?

Re: Quick question about misfire on cyl.5

I would've been trying injector cleaners first. Some people say(bobby) that the injector cleaners dont work. But there are some more professional cleaners. I dunno
    You definately can pull just one injector off of the fuel rail. So I dont see why you couldnt just replace one. Unless all the stores sells them in sets or something. I dont know what year your car is but I dont know how to take apart my 2002 stock injectors like the older model injectors, which you could take apart.
    I've heard that you could stick a single injector in cleaning solution then attatch a 12v battery to get it to open up and let it sit all night.
    I'm no expert or anything.
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Definitely run some cleaners through first. If you're still sure it's the injector, I would recommend replacing it yourself. After a bit of practice, I can get the fuel rail off my 98 in 45 minutes. After that you just have to pull the clip off the injector and pop it off the rail. Much cheaper!
      1998 M5 3.8 Mystic Teal Camaro<br />Flowmaster exhaust, Pacesetter headers, 3\" cat, 3\" S-pipe, whisper lid, ram air, Spec Stage 1 clutch, Poly Trans mount, Walbro 255LPH. Numerous appearance mods.<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2130533</a>

Comment

fuel rail is more like a 10 minute job for me, but i've taken the engine aparrt 4 times now :(
        2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

Well my car's a 98, and it took me about 45 to take off the coil pack alone (but it was my first time).

Is it really that easy (for an amateur) to take off the fuel rail and change one injector?

I'll get some injector cleaner today and let ya know what happens.

Comment

um, yea, easy
            you've got to remove the map sensor via a star shaped tool (dont know what you call those little hex tools or whatever)
            Is your whole ICM/coil braket off? That thing is hard to get off

Comment

Chevron fuel injector cleaner didn't do anything except now my fuel gauge doesn't work.

it took me awhile to get one coil pack off, but i'm sure i could take everything off if necessary, but i dont know where to start. i have an appointment for a mechanic to do a complete scan on the car tomorrow... if they say it's just an injector then i'll give it a shot changing it myself. If i run into some problems i'll be back, but thanks for your help Slow6 and 98 3.8 !

Comment

sorry im no help :(
                maybe its running lean like mine?

Comment

So i gave up and took it to the mechanic - got some good news and bad news. Good News - there was a small crack in my 2/5 coil pack, causing the spark to... do something... other than ... what it was supposed to, and spark the plastic coil pack itself. Or something like that.

Bad News: it cost 167$ to fix something i could have done myself for under 30$. At least now i have someone to blame if it still doesn't work.

Thanks again slow6 and 98 3.8 for ur help!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                    Good to see the site is back up
                    by 2.8 Bird
                    So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                    3 days ago
                  • FirebirdGT
                    New Site Hosting Issues
                    by FirebirdGT
                    All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                    2 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X