Wont start??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wont start??

Hey guys, its been a long time since i've been here wow. But i need your help. I'm getting ready to sell my 92 firebird but i have a problem. I got a different car a while ago (it was a scion....but i've now gotten rid of that and now havea 99 firebird) so the 92 has been sitting for probably one and a half years. Now, the car wont start. We've charged/changed the battery, just replaced the starter, and now i dont know what to do. It rolls over maybe 2-3 times, and then if you turn the key again you might get 1-2 rolls, and then the 3rd time you might get none or you might one one again. So the engine isn't seized from sitting that long, but it just wont fire up. What should i check next starting with the cheapest solution? Plugs and wires?
    White 1992 3.1L V6 firebird<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/ssj_trunks\" target=\"_blank\">Here she is</a><br />----------------------------------

Re: Wont start??

I can understand why the battery change after sitting for 1.5 yrs, but why the starter change. Did you try to start it with the old starter and new battery, and because it was laboring you decided to change it?

It sounds like a starter circuit problem alright, and you're not turning it over fast enough or long enough to get her going.

1) Make sure battery is good. Charge it up and go get it load tested. I've seen new batteries fail this test.

2) You would thing the starter is good, but I've also seen these fail right out of the box.

3) If the battery and starter are good, then you must have high resistance somewhere in the circuit. Check all connections for proper installation and security. Check the cables from the battery to the starter looking for damage, shorts, wear, etc.. . Make sure the engine is properly grounded to the chassis. I'm not sure where the ground straps are, but find them and make sure they are OK.
    Now Playing: \'99 Pewter Firebird, stock, bone stock, and nothing but stock, so help me God!<br />Comming attractions: K&N Filter, Lid Mod, Intake Bellows Smooth Pipe Mod.<br />I dream about: Forced Induction (TC or SC) or NOX (or both!)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
      Had to be evacuated again due to fire
      by ssms5411
      Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
      1 week ago
    • RPDRed6
      For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
      by RPDRed6
      Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
      3 weeks ago
    • ssms5411
      No start problem
      by ssms5411
      So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
      4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X