Pure Acetone in gas tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pure Acetone in gas tank?

Is it bad to put Pure Acetone in your gas tank in order to clean the fuel system/injectors? I know alot of commercially sold fuel system cleaners come
    with acetone in them. I also know acetone might help your MPG.
    2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Re: Pure Acetone in gas tank?

I don't know man. I wouldn't try it. Better read more about it before you go ahead and do it.
    1998 Pontiac Firebird<br />5-speed<br />Navy Blue<br />Only additions so far: Flowmaster Dual Exhaust 80 Series, K&N air filter<br /><br />1989 Ford F150<br />Alpine Green and Tan<br />300/4.9 Inline 6, automatic<br />completely stock- daily beater

Comment

Actually, on Mythbusters, they did all this stuff to try to improve MPG, and Acetone was one of the things. They ended up getting 1-2 **LESS** MPG then the test runs. It may work well for cleaning your injectors, but I wouldn't use it all the time.
      2000 Camaro 3.8 <a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2040383\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2040383</a>

Comment

how much did they use during their runs?
        there is a definite, fairly consistent curve based on how much you use. after 4+ oz, diminishing returns/losses occur; acetone acts as a sort of catalyst, by lowering the surface tension of gasoline.

I used to spike my gasoline with about 60ml (2oz) of acetone, and noticed a 4mpg increase, driving like I normally do. I should get some more, it certainly wouldn't hurt; my mileage has gone to ****
        Last edited by kinetic; 06-11-2006, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Its like $2 for 16 oz of PURE at walmart
          2k2 camaro, K&N, SLP whisper lid, Konis, AEM, HP Tuners, Angel eyes/Halos, CF SS ram air hood, 4.10s, Zexel Torsen, UMI SFCs, CrossFire, BFGs, Gatorback, Catco, Flows, and TLC! DONT feed the Trolls!

Comment

do a search there was a really long heated discussion about this question with links to all kinds of websites with the science behind why it does.
            96 camaro auto base model<br />slp cai<br />pacesetter headers<br />flowmaster catback<br />35th anniversary ss wheels<br />richmond 3.73<br />98+ ss spoiler<br />hypertech 160 degree thermostat<br />transgo shift kit

Comment

i used to spike my full take with about 2 oz's and i DID record a 2/3 MPG difference. be it the actual acetone. or the cleaner parts and ports.. but i noticed NO difference in driveability.just a couple MPG . havent tracked my MPG lately as i have a horrible missfire..
              try it.. if nothing else it is a cheap parts cleaner. as long as you arent using it to get more MPG it wont hurt. i mean you dont use injector cleaner to get MPg you use it to clean your intake and fuel delivery. that is what acetone does.
              1996 Dark Green V-6 auto. few mods.<br />previous rides:<br />1989 turbo 5 speed dodge caravan (18 PSI, 3\" exhuast,intercooled blah blah)<br />1989 Mustang GT (11.72 @118 many many mods, blown engine a.t.m. :-( )

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                by ssms5411
                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                1 week ago
              • RPDRed6
                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                by RPDRed6
                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                3 weeks ago
              • ssms5411
                No start problem
                by ssms5411
                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X