Jet Chip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet Chip?

I was wondering if my next engine mod should be a jet chip? I have K@N filter w/whisper lid, FRA, and borla catback exhaust. Also what exactly does the chip do? and is it worth getting? How much horsepower does it add? Any info would be great.
    Factory:Camaro 5 speed, Color Pewter, w/ t-tops and Y87 package. <br />Engine: K&N filter w/ Whisper Lid, FRA, Borla adjustable cat-back exhaust. Hurst w/ Short Stick<br />Interior:Oil temp. and Air/Fuel ratio gauges, System.<br />Exterior: Black outs front and back, 18 in. Lenso rims w/ Kumho Supra 275/35ZR18 tires, also limo tint on sides and back.<br />173.2rwhp-----200.5tq

I have one, and I love it. go to www.jetchip.com and read the F.A.Q's. You will learn more there. With your current mods, it's a good time to upgrade to the stage 2 jet chip. just have to make sure that you use 91 or higher octane. I use 93 around here. any other info needed just let me know. ;)
    2000 V6 Camaro(bought brand new)
    5 speed
    Project: Unreal
    Several Mods..:naughty:plus Nitrous=WEEeee:banana:

2007 Suzuki GS500F :D

Daily driver
    2007 Chevy Aveo 5
    Mods K&N air filter:excited:
    www.guardiansworlds.com

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Guardiannknight:
      I have one, and I love it. go to www.jetchip.com and read the F.A.Q's. You will learn more there. With your current mods, it's a good time to upgrade to the stage 2 jet chip. just have to make sure that you use 91 or higher octane. I use 93 around here. any other info needed just let me know. ;) <hr></blockquote>

Can you explain what gains you experienced? topend? lowend? was it very noticeable?

I've heard mixed reviews and I'm trying to make a decision.
      2002 Navy Blue Metallic 3.8 Camaro M5 - Y87, Sport Appearance, T-Tops<br />SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, Pro 5.0<br />Dynomax Super Turbo, 2.75 I-Pipe, Fasttoys Quad Tips<br />Kenwood KDC-MP919, Kicker IX405D, Focal Polykevlar 165K2s, JL Audio 10w3-2 Stealthbox

Comment

Firmer shifting. More power throughout the whole rpm range. Mid to top end power is great. Chip performs better when ambient temperature is decent. Gains are noticeable as far as bolt ons go. Get 180 degree thermo if you don't have it, because engine will run a little hotter. Talked to Jet personally, timing advance is 4 to 6 degrees. I personally feel that overall power with the chip can be enhanced with a beefed up ignition, slightly larger spark plug gap, and manual fan switch. Will test soon. It has been said that 1 degree of advance equals around 5hp on some engines. Jet told me that chip does nothing as far as fan switch operation. I love mine. Hope this helps.
        <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by AMinor65:
          Firmer shifting. More power throughout the whole rpm range. Mid to top end power is great. Chip performs better when ambient temperature is decent. Gains are noticeable as far as bolt ons go. Get 180 degree thermo if you don't have it, because engine will run a little hotter. Talked to Jet personally, timing advance is 4 to 6 degrees. I personally feel that overall power with the chip can be enhanced with a beefed up ignition, slightly larger spark plug gap, and manual fan switch. Will test soon. It has been said that 1 degree of advance equals around 5hp on some engines. Jet told me that chip does nothing as far as fan switch operation. I love mine. Hope this helps.<hr></blockquote>

Thanks, I also noticed that you have a 1LE Driveshaft. Was that worth getting? Did you have a 2piece or a 1piece stock?
          2002 Navy Blue Metallic 3.8 Camaro M5 - Y87, Sport Appearance, T-Tops<br />SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, Pro 5.0<br />Dynomax Super Turbo, 2.75 I-Pipe, Fasttoys Quad Tips<br />Kenwood KDC-MP919, Kicker IX405D, Focal Polykevlar 165K2s, JL Audio 10w3-2 Stealthbox

Comment

A lot of people don't notice a gain, but I sure as hell did. With the A/C on, it feels close or just like it does with the A/C off. My exhaust note is softer now too, because of less of a load on the engine. Gotta be pretty into your car to notice that one though. A lot of people don't even notice the exhaust note difference with the A/C on or off. Worthwhile mod in my opinion.
            <b>1998 Firebird 3800 Series II, A4</b><br />Direct-Flo Lid,K&N Filter,DEE TB Spacer,TPS-TEC,ZZP Mini-AFC,Raised and Cutout Airbox 7mm,BMR STB & Boxed LCAs,KYB AGX Shocks,Drilled/Slotted Rotors,180* Thermo,2.5\" Catco Cat,Dynomax 2.75\" custom catback,Kumho Ecstas/245,Jet Stage 2,3.42,Edge Racing 2870 Stall,B&M Tranny Cooler,B&M Deep Tranny Pan,LSD,AAM Girdle,1LE DS,NX Wet Kit,MSD DIS-4,MSD Blaster Coil Packs,Taylor Spiro Pro 8mm Wires,NGK TR6\'S gapped .045,ZZP UD WP Pulley,SLP Fan Switch,TT II\'s<br />N/A: 15.6342 @ 88.44 (On stock converter. Strugglin\' to beat it.)<br />Nitrous 50 Shot: 14.7463 @ 93.49

Comment

Well, it seems AMinor65 did a good job explaining it. Temp. does seem to have a big effect with the chip though. Since the chip advances the timing, it makes your engine run hotter, so, a 180 or 160 thermy(I have a 160 thermy) is a great idea. I can tell a nice difference when the weather is cooler with low humidity. I have never dyno my car, so I can not say what gains that it has given me. I can say this though. I have taken my chip out and put it back in when going to the drag strip. I noticed when I had the chip in, I had more power, power I could feel, plus I gained between .2 to .4 in my times. So, I give the jet chip [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumbsup.gif[/img] You just need to make sure that you do the correct mods before you get the chip. Fix up your intake, exhaust, get a lower thermy, a manual fan switch to cool the engine down and add in the jet chip stage 2 and your set(just make sure that you use 91 plus octane, 93 if you can). I have also taken out my MAF screen(you can find more info in the intake section on that mod). Welp, need more info just let me know. ;)
              2000 V6 Camaro(bought brand new)
              5 speed
              Project: Unreal
              Several Mods..:naughty:plus Nitrous=WEEeee:banana:

2007 Suzuki GS500F :D

Daily driver
              2007 Chevy Aveo 5
              Mods K&N air filter:excited:
              www.guardiansworlds.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse