Pros & cons about fuel pumps...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros & cons about fuel pumps...

I'm changing my sending unit (finaly i'll know how much gas i have) and I was told that I should change my fuel pump aswell while I'm at it.
    1) should I change it?
    2) Should I stay with a stock fuel pump or go with some after market like edelbrock type?
    what are the pros & cons about going with a 'performance'(if you want to use that term) fuel pump ?

Thanks
    1986 Firebird - Sold<br />1987 Trans am - sold<br />1994 Firebird - Current.

Re: Pros &amp; cons about fuel pumps...

i would change it and only get a GM one.
    2000 3.8 A4 Pewter Camaro

Comment

well it is cheaper to throw in an aftermarket high perf one than to buy a gm replacement pump. Plus if you ever plan on modding more a high flow fuel pump will come in handy to have. I have one in my car and works just fine. Don't really know of any cons.
      http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

Well when i bought this car ( 8 months ago), i planed on keeping it stock,
        however i did install a flowmaster catback system, thus if i do mods, it wouldn't be anything crazy.
        1986 Firebird - Sold<br />1987 Trans am - sold<br />1994 Firebird - Current.

Comment

Originally posted by 97rs4life
          well it is cheaper to throw in an aftermarket high perf one than to buy a gm replacement pump. Plus if you ever plan on modding more a high flow fuel pump will come in handy to have. I have one in my car and works just fine. Don't really know of any cons.
          where did you get your pump???

Comment

one 'con' i have heard about the aftermarket fuel pump is that the pump won't run the tank under a 1/4 of a tank, that is once you hit 1/4 or less the pump can't suck anymore gas out. They had a modified version that would run the tank dry.
            GM ones will cost a whole lot more.
            Check out my cardomain site!<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/99pewterv6\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a>

Comment

Originally posted by 99pewterv6
              one 'con' i have heard about the aftermarket fuel pump is that the pump won't run the tank under a 1/4 of a tank, that is once you hit 1/4 or less the pump can't suck anymore gas out. They had a modified version that would run the tank dry.
              GM ones will cost a whole lot more.
              i've never heard that before, plus you really dont want to run your tank dry with any pump, i have known too many people that burnt out their pump by running it dry just once

Comment

Originally posted by slpbirdy00
                where did you get your pump???
                zzperformance.com $125, get the universal kit, not 3800 specific

As for the pumps not sucking up the last 1/4 tank, that is a small issue 99+ guys talked about with their plastic tanks. Just move the pump lower down the pump assembly and you will be fine. There was some modified pumps sold over on the other site but I dunno if any more were made.

Like bah said though, never really heard actual reports of people having that problem, just speculations so far.

Grand prix's have this problem I know that. That is why zzp sells a 3800 specific version just for grand prix people.

Comment

okay i see, thanks for clearing that up. I was worried about getting the aftermarket pump after I heard about that.
                  So the zzp universal kit will hook straight up to all the 99+ camaros with no problems?
                  Check out my cardomain site!<br /><a href=\"http://members.cardomain.com/99pewterv6\" target=\"_blank\">My Car</a>

Comment

zip tie it into the same location as the stocker, I ditched the bucket on mine and then lowered the pump to stock location on the fuel pump assembly. So it isn't any higher than the stocker

Comment

while ditching the bucket does that mean the fuel level sender as well??

edit...guess so, cause i secured the pump without the bucket...so now ill just drive by the odometer. lol good pump tho, there actually seems to be a slight better response in throttle too. =)

I bought my pump off a store on ebay for 79$. its the same walbro pump. brand new in a box.
                      Last edited by slpbirdy00; 06-21-2007, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Razz
                        I'm changing my sending unit

Did you change it... and did it help with the crazy fuel gauge?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X