Ses light when low on gas????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ses light when low on gas????

i did a search to see if i could find anything on this but couldnt come to a conclusion

a couple of weeks ago my ses light came on and stayed on i read about the gas cap not being on tight i had just over 1/4 of a tank and it maybe being bad gas so i filled up and a few miles later it went off
    anyway it has done it again same thing at just over 1/4 of a tank the light came on i filled up and its off again

has anyone come across this before? and have a idea what it means

theres no autozone near me so im going to have to pay to have it scanned locally

thanks for you help
    best wishes
    Adam

When i get 1/4 of a tank, my "Check Gauges" light comes on...is that what your talking about? If so, it's normal
    1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28<br />1987 Buick Grand National

Comment

sounds like a p1441--email mccanda and ask him.
      2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

Mine just started doing that too! Suspiciously after I installed the manual fan switch... but lately i've noticed it only comes on when the gas tank is under 1/4.
        1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

are you doing the 3 clicks?
          \'96 <b>Quasar Blue</b> Firebird A4<br /><a href=\"http://jamiethekiller@comcast.net\" target=\"_blank\"><i>jamiethekiller@comcast.net</i></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.woodlandrock.com\" target=\"_blank\">my band: woodland</a>

Comment

ya, it's not a three-clicker problem. it's a leak somewhere in the fuel systems--very common gm problem. there is a warranty on it; but very few dealerships know of it and will get frustrated with you when you tell them there is a warranty.

like i said, talk to mccanda about it or go visit his website.
            2000 NBM M6 Camaro Z28<br />323/335

Comment

sadly i dont think im going to be covered by the warranty

i have a 98 firebird but it has 83000 miles on it
              so i think im out of luck

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jamie:
                are you doing the 3 clicks?<hr></blockquote>

excuse me, but 3 clicks??? what's that?? [img]smile.gif[/img]
                1997 silver Camaro RS<br />|T-Type Powered|<br /><a href=\"http://www.kwfbody.com\" target=\"_blank\">Looking for a local F-Body club in K/W, Ontario, Canada?</a>

Comment

you're supposed to turn the gas cover until it clicks atleast 3 times to keep the tank pressurized like it's supposoed to be [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

gotcha ;)

Comment

another question... could this turn into a major problem if left alone? or is it a case of just keeping the tank more than 1/4 full?

thanks.

Comment

i had somewhat this sort of problem. i would bet that you have a low evap pressure code. which is emmisions basically. i had to replace the little canister thing full of charcoal, its right behind my driver side rear tire, and blow out the lines, and replace a little sensor type thing on the passanger side of my engine. not a big deal. to save about 50% of the cost go to gmparts directand type in the part #'s. i got them from my mechanic.
                        1997 Firebird Convertable White, with custom Purple pin striping and custom Purple detailing!!!<br />Y87 Performance Package W68 Apperance Package<br />Boydes, aluminum rims 16\" BMR STB <br />SLP Cold Air Intake 3\"hiflow cat 3\" dynomax custom catback, 2.5\" Flowmaster 80. Slp Take off Shocks, Springs And Struts. Transgo shift kit with corvette servo!<br />Sony Explode CD Player Kicker Comp VR 12, and Explode 760Watt amp!!!<br />5% Tint on the side windows, Correction officially 2% on the side windows, or at least that is what the highpo said and 15% on my rear window<br />Yup Purdy Car!!

Comment

My 02 displays the check guages light at 1/4 tank gas left. Its done that since I got it new. Its supposed to.
                          2002 Navy Blue Metallic 3.8 Camaro M5 - Y87, Sport Appearance, T-Tops<br />SLP CAI, K&N, Whisper Lid, Pro 5.0<br />Dynomax Super Turbo, 2.75 I-Pipe, Fasttoys Quad Tips<br />Kenwood KDC-MP919, Kicker IX405D, Focal Polykevlar 165K2s, JL Audio 10w3-2 Stealthbox

Comment

basically the reason that our cars do this is because the way that the gas tank is shaped.

You can think of our gas tank as sort of a V
                            see how the top of the tank is wider (bigger), and as you use gas, the bottom of the tank is getting smaller? That's why our cars seem to use more gas from half a tank down. When we're @ empty, we're really at empty :D

the whole reason for the light coming on to tell you that you're gonna be walking if you don't go get some gas.

Comment

That may be true, but this just started for me now after 3 years of driving without it. And i've been below the empty line before. These days i'm seeing it as I get down under 1/4 tank.

I should get soem diagnostics run to interpret the code...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated again due to fire
                                by ssms5411
                                Had to be evacuated Monday again after a fire was going on the hill behind us. Only 3-4 hours, they did a good job getting it under control. Especially...
                                1 week ago
                              • RPDRed6
                                For Sale: 2001 Chevrolet Camaro project.
                                by RPDRed6
                                Up for sale is my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro 3.8 in need of some TLC and help. I’ve owned this vehicle the past 18 years (since 2006) and it’s been very...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • ssms5411
                                No start problem
                                by ssms5411
                                So went out to start the Camaro and no start, batteries are good just hear a thud sound, started up fine last Friday. Check the fuses and the battery...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X