Help please... a leak in my radiator (3.4L Camaro) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help please... a leak in my radiator (3.4L Camaro)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please... a leak in my radiator (3.4L Camaro)

A few days ago I noticed that there was a small puddle of what seemed like coolant underneath my car (95' 3.4L V6 Camaro)

So I checked the coolant levels, and just as I suspected, it was low :(

I checked the hoses, etc. and saw evidence that there was a leak somewhere but i didn't know exactly where. At first, I thought it was at the bottom radiator hose, since there was dried up coolant residue there.

I went to the local Autozone and bought a new hose, clamps, coolant, etc. and I was expecting to replace the hose over the weekend.

This morning, just for kicks, I decided to fill the rest of the radiator with just plain old water so it's topped off. I drive to work and when I got there, I opened my hood and checked again.

Eureka! I found the culprit!

There seem to be a small hole/leak on the left side of the radiator. I guess my initial hunch was wrong.

Can something like this be repaired without replacing the whole radiator? How much does it usually go for?

I would hate having to buy a new radiator. It costs $195+tax at Autozone :(

I've also seen those Radiator Sealer and Stop Leak bottles at Autozone, but I'm kinda skeptical about those. Some people say that they do more harm than good.

Thanks in advance.

Mike
    E-mail: ibjanky@yahoo.com<br />AOL IM: IBJanky

I dont know what our radiators look like in the Camaros, but here is how to fix it:

IF, and thats a big IF, the side tanks of the radiator are metal, get some JB Weld and squish it up and slap it in the leak. It will stop it right up. Just make sure it it totally dry before you fill the radiator again.

IF the side tanks are plastic, you HAVE to get a new one. My truck's radiator went, and i tried EVERYTHING in order to not pay the 215 for the new one. Nothing worked. NOTHING.

Metal = Fixable
    Plastic = Much lighter wallet

Comment

I think our radiators are aluminum, you should be able to get some JB Weld, I think they even make crap you can dump in there and it will seal it for you.
      <b><a href=\"http://members.cox.net/95batmobile/d86f.jpg\" target=\"_blank\">Sinister Six©</b></a><br /><a href=\"http://www.sounddomain.com/id/95batmobile\" target=\"_blank\">My \'95 Bird</a><br />I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by 95Batmobile:
        I think our radiators are aluminum, you should be able to get some JB Weld, I think they even make crap you can dump in there and it will seal it for you.<hr></blockquote>

i've heard stories like that about those kind of products.

i heard that they can seize up your water pump, clog other places, etc.

i was wondering if anybody here had personal experiences with it, and if so, how did it work out for you?
        E-mail: ibjanky@yahoo.com<br />AOL IM: IBJanky

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by IBJanky:

i've heard stories like that about those kind of products.

i heard that they can seize up your water pump, clog other places, etc.

i was wondering if anybody here had personal experiences with it, and if so, how did it work out for you?
          <hr></blockquote>

my moms silverado has a radiator leak and i went to Auto Zone and i baught some of that stuff to fix it. Well it did fix it, a week later the water pump goes out along with the heater core.

Comment

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CAMAROWIDBASS:

my moms silverado has a radiator leak and i went to Auto Zone and i baught some of that stuff to fix it. Well it did fix it, a week later the water pump goes out along with the heater core.
            <hr></blockquote>

same thing happend in my old saturn
            1994 White Firebird 3.4L A4<br />Mods: K&N CAI RKSport Headers & SLP Loudmouth Cat Back <br />1969 Mustang Mach 1 351C M4<br />Mods: None yet......<br />~ Ryan

Comment

I have heard nothing but horror stories about those leak stop products.....plus if you are running dexcool, you're just asking for trouble by adding in another product.
              Red 96' A4 Firebird
              Audio Audio and Autotek
              Check it out here!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• 2.8 Bird
                Good to see the site is back up
                by 2.8 Bird
                So there going to be anything new or update to the site since Bill is now the owner?

I know there's still alot of interest in the fbody V6....
                4 hours ago
              • FirebirdGT
                New Site Hosting Issues
                by FirebirdGT
                All - sorry but there seems to be some glitches from moving to a new Host - hopefully they will be fixed soon.

If needed you can email me...
                1 week ago
              • LETZRIDE
                New Owner!
                by LETZRIDE
                I am happy to announce that I have sold the site to Robert (FirebirdGT). Years ago this site went down when TealV6 had it, I bought it, refreshed it,...
                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X